How did you learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Giggles the Original, Apr 29, 2013.

How did YOU learn to drive??

1. *

self taught??

25.9%
  2. *

taught by family member

27.0%
  3. *

Private training

6.9%
  4. *

trucking school

31.6%
  5. *

Company Trained

10.9%
  1. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

So I am curious.

I see lots of people, myself included complain that the newbies dont have enough training nowadays.

Or that trainees are training trainees.

So, with that being said, we know that a TON of older, old school drivers, DIDNT have a trainer.

Many were thrown the keys and told to go truckin.....thats how my husband learned 29 (30 this year) years ago.

I can think of several drivers on this forum that learned to same way.

So whats different?? I mean its not like it used to be, you cant just jump in the truck and go truckin....

But what makes it different now, why did the old school drivers, not need a trainer, but the new generation does?

I dont agree with newbies teaching newbies, because IMO, they arent experienced enough to "teach" anything.

What do y'all think??

Would also like to know, how long do you think trucking school courses should be?

For the record, i went to driving school (1991) before i met hubby...but it was a 2 1/2 month course in CO, in the mtns in the snow....altho that still isnt long enough.

PLEASE lets not turn this into cutting each other down either....if this has alrdy been addressed, I am sorry, but I havent seen it....

dont forget to vote plz...thx

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. g22mac

g22mac Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    clinton, wi
    my instructor likes the idea of 1 to 2 years experience being trainers for the newly graduated drivers. says that way we have not had time to develope to many bad habits to pass along to the next driver instead of the 30 year guys who say there way is best and the heck with what you were taught in school

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I went to Commercial Drivers Institute, in the early 80's. It was tough for a newbie to get a job back then, but I got on with TransAmerican, from Grand Rapids MI. They were terrible, only made it there a month. Went back to factory work to pay the bills. After a few years of that, went out with an O/O for Atlas Van Lines. That lasted a couple of months, til I got a job in a warehouse. That lasted about 2 years, saw an ad in the paper for Central Transport. They were paying double what I was making in the warehouse, for local drivers.

I filled out the app, and was one of about 5 hired. I heard the rest of the applicant's couldn't pass the drug screen! Been driving ever since.

tinytim and Giggles the Original Thank this.
  5. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    I believe because of the litigious society we now live is the biggest culprit. Also much heavier traffic than there used to be. But lawyers, insurance companies, and the "it's not my fault attitude" have lead to where we are today.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    WHen your husband learned to drive,I imagine that's when trucking was actually fun and drivers helping one another.Now its like eavery driver for him or herself.I agree,newbys training newbys is no different then the blind leading the blind.Drivers should have a solid yr otr exp and with a near perfect mvr.But with companies all you need is what 6 months and you're as good as in to be a trainer.FMCSA is all about safety so they say,ya right.If they are so much into safety then certain things needs to be changed.I learned how to drive trk at Werner.I got lucky though,I had an excellent trainer that was all about safety and very patient with 12 yrs exp.

7. HwyPrsnr

HwyPrsnr Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Anywhere, USA
    I was raised in this industry. All I ever known. Dad just put me behind the wheel and told me "Youve watched me all your life, its your turn". When I was young I admired all the drivers and dreamed of being one. So, I learned to respect it. Love who I am. Love what I do. Wouldnt want to do anything else...Never will. Take care.

8. Gasienica

Gasienica Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
  9. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

make sure y'all dont forget to vote plz....

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  10. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Been around trucks all my life , Grandfather , Father, Uncle all had a part in my training , then one day it was heres the keys away you go.

And regardless of the STORIES about the old days it was not always fun and not every driver was helpful.

tinytim and Giggles the Original Thank this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When you say private training,are you talking about training with a carrier?I actually got my start at a trucking school but I don't really consider that learning to drive.Because my real learning began with werner.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.