How did you learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Giggles the Original, Apr 29, 2013.

How did YOU learn to drive??

1. *

self taught??

25.9%
  2. *

taught by family member

27.0%
  3. *

Private training

6.9%
  4. *

trucking school

31.6%
  5. *

Company Trained

10.9%
  1. Superquack

Superquack Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I trained on the job at my current employer for the private fleet. They offerthat for people that have been with them for 5 years and I took it. Not bad si ce otherwise atleast 2 years is required.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I learned from my POPs watching him going through the gears and then sitting on his lap one day he said I think your old enough to drive on your own. So he sat in the passengers seat helped me through the gears we drove all around the fields behind the house. Eventually when I got older he use to let me hook it up pull it around to clean it up and the rest is history

4. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

112 posts.......111 votes....but over 2000 views.....hmmmmm

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  5. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    I went to a school called the Diesel Truck Driver Training School in Sun Prairie, Wi. Graduated in August of 1978. In a class of 68 people i finished 2nd on the road test and 12 th over all.Been driving since then.....

6. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    1991 - got married and needed to make a decent living to support my wife and baby on the way. My father in law took pity on me and taught me although I was pretty familiar with what to do as my dad and uncle had previously driven. 4 weekends of training while we were "off" and I got my CDL. I don't bash the rookies fresh out of school. When I got my CDL I didn't know much. Common sense and talking to more experienced guys are how I really learned along with getting myself out of some really goofy mistakes.

7. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

what??? y'all gonna let this thread die alrdy????

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Giggles, i think a lot off drivers can talk but cannot write...........:biggrin_25516:

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    There's a lot more that can talk, but can not THINK!

Sorry Giggles, couldn't resist.

10. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Worked at a moving company for years, one day got tired of people asking me why dont I have my "A"........ so I went to dmv on my lunch break grabbed a commercial handbook, read it, burned a sick day the next day, went down and got my permit. (with all endorsements). and started practicing driving when everyone punched out, and left for the day. Week later, went to dmv,with one of our 27' pups (everyone was shocked at my job) and left with my CDL.

11. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    I drove barely road legal training trucks from C1 North Little Rock, AL in the Fall of 2011.

King Vno

MZdanowicz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.