How do brokers justify 30-50 % percentage

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Nobroker, May 10, 2019.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    My Close buddy of 35 years owns his own brokerage, mostly open deck in the Midwest.

He has 3 employees, Plus his wife doing the accounting, Which there is a Ton of.

He makes a darn good living but you couldn't give me that job.

He is one of the hardest working guys out there and there is still not enough hours in the day and you better never turn that phone off.

10_15% is average and he earns every dime of it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    To Goof Off and go boating all winter long in Florida

4. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Just out of curiousity how many road miles have you driven ? And what is the national average driver pay like $43k if that. At that pay i am amazed companies can even find drivers to go forward i know they cant back up for 43k just go to a truck stop.
    When you consider time away from home, federal regulations, inherent risks of driving 100k + miles on the road in all weather who better desrves the 100k paycheck the driver or the desk job.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Trucker Paul Thanks this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Right on, I'm right there with ya on working half the year. But that wasn't the topic. The topic was about a nitwit claiming 60k income on full time work should be satisfactory.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Went out yesterday on my buddies 40 Silverton he lives on in Fort Myers. Went down to New Pass and anchored out . Ton of boats out.

All the boats rafted together on the other coast shown on Face Plant is going to get All boating shutdown though.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  7. Tomek373

Tomek373 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2021
    I know I’m late with reply here but my buddy had a broker from coyote who also told him at the end of 2018 that market will take a deep #### for a while. He was independent O/O with 2 other truck running for him. He sold the other 2 and stayed with one and he was glad he listened to that dude.

8. Tomek373

Tomek373 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2021

9. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Some of the comments in this thread are adorable.

I think it was one of the Marvel movies that had a line along the lines of "Advanced technology would seem like magic to a simpler civilization", and this thread makes me think of that.

A broker makes a pretty routine prediction on what the truckload market will do(which like any major market, is cyclical in nature), and someone comes running here to post "HAI GUYS THIS BROKER PREDICTED THE MARKET WOULD GO DOWN, DO U THINK HE IS A WIZARD???"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    86scotty and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  10. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Exactly. Sad part is when I started nearly 3 decades ago I made more than that as a company driver my FIRST year. So pay hasn’t moved. Instead of driver pay money went into trailer skirts, APUs, emissions crap, you name it.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    No, a broker's job isn't to negotiate with the shipper on your behalf.

It's to maximize their own revenue (not yours) by securing the highest rate possible from the shipper and the lowest rate possible from the carrier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.