How do i get appointed plates?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jfrazie8, Oct 11, 2018.

1. jfrazie8

jfrazie8 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2018
    I just bought a semi truck from a private party in cash. I have title & bill of sale. I will be leasing my truck on next year to a company but right now i wanna get plates on my own. I don't have my own authority. How can i get plates? Tennessee

tommymonza Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    You can not. You must have active dot numbers or a copy of a lease to a carrier whom has active dot numbers.

And cart before horse, have you tried to get insurance yet??? That’s gonna be a hurdle if the truck is not working

tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I don't know much, but I at least can help with the appropriate term. They're apportioned plates, not appointed.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why did you even buy a truck without researching how to license it?

homeskillet Thanks this.
  6. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    sounds like you're ready to contract with FedEx

7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I think you have to get in touch with the US Marshals to get appointed plates.....

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Just went through the same exact problem.

No one would issue me insurance because I have had a CDL less than 2 years ,even OOIDA couldn't, help out

I called 15 different insurance companies, even the temporary 3 day companies.

Finally got a guy at a company to issue me some while overlooking a few details, issuing me anon-commercial policy.

I think you could get a farm plate for personal use. That is what I am looking into until I lease on with a company next spring.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  9. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    In Massachusetts (where I'm familiar with the rules) you can get intra-state plates if you don't have a DOT number. They're just regular commercial plates. No crossing state lines but you can run in-state to your heart's content. I got them on a truck I bought when I had less than a year on my license, but I owned a company that already had a good history and a clean record. The in-state plates are probably easier to get coverage for that apportioned plates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.