How do I know which warehouses to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gratefuldeadheads, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN

You can not really avoid those places because as a new driver you will be sent where you are sent on a load.
    You might turn it down sometimes, but you are expected to run wherever you are sent. The excuse of 'I don't like that shipper/receiver' won't cut it.

When you own your own truck you can pick and choose, but that is all you can do to tackle that problem.
    Nothing you do will change how these places operate.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
    tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    Actually looks like a decent survey.

Heavy, it’s just typing and giving opinions. I think you can handle that.

4. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    There’s a foundry in Waupaca, WI that as long as we got there by 6 (dedicated route, load on dock waiting for us) we would be loaded in 5 to 10 minutes. Now if we were late and had to deal with the night crew we usually didn’t leave until 10 pm or later even if we got there at 6:30.

5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    avoid food warehouses. they can take 6-8 hrs or more. most Walmart distribution centers.

6. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Any one with big chillers mounted on the roof!!

7. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I have a short list of places I no longer go,I'm independent OO so I can choose.I have never decided on just one load but if it happens two or three times I won't book a load from or too there again.
    I have found that the pet food places are the ones to stay away from, the dry or the wet loads,they always seem to be overwhelmed on the docks.
    I don't understand how the bad places just continue to stay bad,the place will be known to be a place to avoid from everyone but brokers and yet nothing will change.

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Grocery warehouses are the main reason we got rid of our reefers and dry vans.
    When you add up all the waiting time over the course a year it's huge. The amount of time we spent sitting could have been better spent hauling loads that don't have the delay time.
    Grocery warehouses have been time wasters for as long as I can remember.
    Are there exceptions? Of course. But on the whole they're not worth it to us.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  9. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    They don't care how long you have to wait,but if they have to unload you and it's on the floor then their time is worth $100.00 per hour!

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. The truck has to earn. For it to earn it has to roll. When loading or unloading appointments aren't respected it's time to find something else to haul.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the ones that look abandoned..stay away from

the ones with trucks parked at the docks....go to.

so simple, a caveman can do it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.