How do I prevent the gears from grinding when stopped?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Switcher, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Switcher

Switcher Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    I did that once, from 7th to 4th, but the instructor told us it isn't necessary and that we shouldn't try to do that on the test because that's unnecessary pressure. I wish we had more time to practice that, going from 10th all the way down to 4th.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Are you starting out in 4th? You should be in a low enough gear, when letting the clutch out you don’t need to push on the accelerator pedal until you foot is off the clutch.

OldeSkool, Trucker61016 and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    Usually in 3rd or 4th. I usually give it some gas while letting off the clutch (old habit from a manual car) especially when stopped on an incline.

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    In a big truck you should NEVER have to give throttle until your foot is completely off the clutch. The ONLY exception to this is when loaded super heavy and trying to start from a stop on a steep uphill grade.

I was taught to NEVER coast in neutral because you are completely dependant on your brakes. You really need to learn to down shift all the way to a stop. You can skip a gear or 2 sometimes, but the tansmission and clutch should never be disengaged longer than it takes to make the shift. A really good experienced driver can shift down through 10 gears in as many seconds if needed.

6. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    I'm always in gear when I come to a stop.... Unless I miss 8th but I'm getting better about that.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sounds like a typical crap school and instructors.

the second thing to teach you after they show you what pedal is the clutch, is what you need to do when to stop …

PUSH THE CLUTCH PEDAL ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR AND HOLD IT THERE BEFORE YOU PUT IT INTO GEAR.

as mentioned, learn how to properly downshift

if your instructor tells you it isn’t needed, he/she is a pos instructor, the key to properly use the engine is to use it as part of the braking system.

Cattleman84, Trucker61016 and Switcher Thank this.
  8. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Sounds like a top notch school

Switcher Thanks this.
  9. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    And sorry to say, but pressure is part of the job, being hesitant causes mistakes...so despite what the instructor says, learn to shift down till you stop. You'll be glad you learned to later...

Switcher Thanks this.
  10. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    My local community college has us downshifting and I cant get it hahaha. I tried all day yesterday and may have done it right 2-3 times the entire day lol

Switcher Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    It takes practice... Eventually you will be doing it automatically amd not even realize it. You will also get to the point that you dont think about what gear number you need, it will just become automatic based on feel and sound.

Switcher and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.