How do i turn the watts down on my CB for an amp

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by PayneMatthews, Aug 26, 2019.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Rathwr than goin to the cia to get a decipher machine,work on your antenna and enjoy the radio as is and forget the headaches of an amp....
    Alot of times an amp is just a crutch for a poor antenna system somewhere..
    I once met up with a fella who got lost in the air after a very short time,he ran(forget the radio he had)a 30k predator antenna with a sweet 16 amp.....
    I lost him after 10 minutes..Other were able to get back to me and me to them but this MR Bragger got lost in no time....
    An amp can be a fun toy but if you can get out and be heard,cool but what about those who can reply....
    Listen to the crap on the superbowl(ch 6) and you will likely say F that...

Spend your time on a good antenna set up and be happy..

Diesel Dave and Night Stalker10 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Racer X75

Racer X75 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2022
    I have a similar question. I have a President McKinley radio. It allows you to turn down the power output, although it's a pain because you must key the mike during the process. My question is that the display just shows increment bars. I've been assuming that they are relative so 1 of 10 bars would be 1 10th power but I dont know that for certain. Does anyone know how much each bar is or he differences in output? I have a cheap meter that's not very useful. I burned one up by accident because it apparently cannot handle the power I claims it can.
    Also I have another question for any RF experts out there. If you split the output from the radio then run that into 2 separate amplifiers to 2 separate antennas spaced 9 ft apart, will you get more range than with a single amp and antenna? Both amps are the same power and antennas the same too.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Have a professional tech tune the radio properly, doing yourself will end up a mess.

Nope, won't work.

craig_sez Thanks this.
  5. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I was gonna suggest the same ridge....

Dont know what your doin,best stay out from under the covers...Yes yer daddy shoulda given you "The Speech" which applys to women AND radios..lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.