How do team truckers get sleep?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigtonkahonk89, Jan 22, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Spouse is driving. IF you can go mwah, night night and go to sleep that long and put her to bed when it's time for you to drive you two are awesome.

When we run in a car together one of us is always a back seat driver he he he. No sleeping today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    LOLOL!!

When I first learned of the training program I will soon be going through, I had the image of my trainer hitting the breaks hard, and me rolling towards the front, landing in between the seats in my under britches

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We actually used heavy massive braking to wake people up when we needed them to wake up. We learn to sleep through anything. Except a 50 pound application of air and maybe a screech on the trailer tires. You are awake before you hit the floor.

We actually kept the crash net up for either one of us who was sleeping most especially. It's bad enough there is a thousand ways to get killed out there in a hurry. Hell, one time I dropped a trailer to load at fort Collins CO in the meat plant there and stumbled towards the washbay dock area being so tired to arrange some sort of wash for it. I was between the dock and my own trailer being backed in at speed. Maybe two steps from not being here with this world anymore.

That would have been a interesting death. And a unnecessary one or a joyful one depending on who is reading this stuff on TTR. he he he.

Sirscrapntruckalot and TravR1 Thank this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    first, secure yourself in the sleeper. if your co-driver is a decent person, he/she will stay at or just slightly below the speed limit. he/she will watch for potholes and try to drive over them, rather than INTO them. he/she will brake slower rather than quickly, which means carefully watching the road ahead for stop lights.

the co-driver would try his/her best to change lanes easier rather than quicker.

when it is your turn to drive, you do the same for your co-driver.

it is not easy at all to trust a total stranger. this is why married teams usually do better. as the spouse looks out for the other. a stranger most times, could care less.

it is best to iron out what each is expected to do so the other can get some restful sleep.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    For disclosure, I haven't driven yet. But, personally, I would like to think that I would drive as courteously as possible for my team mate, if I found myself in a team situation. If for no other reason, just simply for the fact I have to live with the guy in a very small space 24/7 and just makes sense to not make waves. Definitely self-serving in its own way, but also works well for both of us involved.

buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
  8. BillStep

BillStep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Actually it took me about five to six months to get used to it. After that I slept great. A stack of two good mattress to help absorb the bounce. Hopefully a partner who stays off the rumble strip. If I did get sleepy I would stop and take a nice nap. An hour nap will do wonders.

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    It takes conditioning ... spend 4 years sleeping right under the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and you should be fine sleeping in a moving truck.

Dan.S and subseaguru Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was teamed with a trainer long ago for evaluation. He will go to sleep with the Radio Unshackled all over the cab. And when I went to sleep I hear heavy metal all over the cab. We had opposites on that radio. Finally one day he asked what do we do with that radio? So, one Christian and one Hellion came to a agreement how to play that thing in the cab.

If that Hellion is still with us, my truck is still neat as a pin.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It isn't a problem if you do not team.
    And that is simple. Just be a solo driver.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.