How do you about being a load consultant?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by NICHOLE24297, Jan 8, 2018.

1. NICHOLE24297

NICHOLE24297 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I am a stay at home mom and my kids are all in school all day. My husband is a o/o working for landstar and I spend most days finding his loads for him and a few of his buddies. Is there anyway to do this for other drivers who don't have the time to looks or need help now and again?

Capt. Paul Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    It's called being a dispatcher. There's any number of hundreds if not thousands of dispatch services out there. I'm sure there's any number that'll let you work from home.

4. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Take a % from the loads your finding for his buddies. Don't work for free.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When I had my authority I had my buddies daughter, a stay at home mom, dispatching my trucks. She took care of dispatching myself, her father and her uncle. She charged a flat fee, and I paid cash. If I remember correctly it was $500 a month, she ran four trucks on my end, and she was good at it. I don't think she charged enough, but that is what she wanted, and who was I to argue. ;-)

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I'd be a little worried about having someone with such poor negotiation skills working my trucks... just saying.

EDIT: This is kind of the core problem with dispatchers though. If you pay them too much the juice isn't worth the squeeze. If you pay them too little you lose 10-20% of the orange. I guess low % (like 3-4%) outsourced services can hire people and pay them enough to be hungry in some 4th tier country so that you get a good value for your money.

I think dispatchers who actually make their trucks money are very rare. I think most of the ones that actually make their trucks money rapidly want my job... and get it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    PPDCT and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    There were people doing that at landstar when I was there. Just get the word out to other BCOs and get started.

8. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Not giving up my secrets to potential competition :)

PPDCT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.