How do you deal with stress...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tinytim, May 7, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I remember a teenager called Hewitt on local AM Kansas west radio once. Every time the DJ asked her questions she laughed and then answered it. I don't keep up on the Ladies like you do by name but this was worth about 200 miles into Abeline from Limon that night. That was like decades ago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Hakuna matata.
    If that doesn't work, I bottle it up until I get home and take out my frustrations on the sweet young lady (GF) that likes it that way... If that's not an option, I take several firearms to the range for copper-jacketed lead therapy, or add Tannerite and blow #### up. To vent while I'm on longer trips, I play SiriusXM's Octane at high volume while singing truckaraoke.
    And, if it's a particularly stressful week, I have my friends Jack, Jim, and Jose as home. (i drive primarily northeast)

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I gotta say, if driving stress you out, maybe this job isn't for you. Honestly, nothing is more relaxing then getting behind the wheel for me.

For me, the worst traffic in the world does not compare with the inevitable run ins with the always present office idiot. But even then, I don't get stress out by the confrontations. Nowadays, I almost look forward to it. At this point in my career, I have a pretty good idea when I am right and when I am in the wrong, and with the desk jockeys in charge of trucking nowadays, you prove them wrong and either watch them back peddle or move on to another job. Usually both, but why stress out about it. Sooner or later you will get behind the wheel again, and any stress will fade away.

tinytim, x1Heavy and kanidana Thank this.
  5. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    So true. I'm at a trucking company where most of the runs average 1000 plus miles and there's nothing I love better than the time behind the wheel BETWEEN THE SHIPPER AND RECEIVER. The stressful parts of the job are at those two points...except for the occasional DOT inspection (and icy roads) which can be really stressful as well.

The best feeling in the world, for me, is after I get loaded at the shipper, I've just filled my tank, it's 2000 and I'm ready to roll with nothing but open road ahead and my favorite music playing on the radio. I live for that. This is the only job I've ever had that I actually enjoy MOST OF THE TIME. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

6. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    #### truck driving is the least stressful thing I do. I tend to think people who complain about it are #######. We could be doing real work for a living and instead we get to travel. Man up.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  7. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    If you do get stressed, just stop and think about how much better you have it than a low wage worker. You might be griping about miles or parking spaces. But the kid or old guy at McDonald's is probably griping about "being lucky to have 30 hours this week", or their beater car from the crooked dealership about to be repo'd. And then you could always think about other jobs in this field and funnel the negativity into research. Keep the mind occupied.

tinytim Thanks this.
  8. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I just started my clock after taking a 34, fueled and arrived at shipper.
    Load wont be ready till morning, so..bobtail to wallmart to do some shopping..no signs stating no over night parking.
    I love Salt Lake city.
    Im hanging out with some folks living out of their pickup truck..things could be much worse.

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    My biggest stress comes from things outside the cab of the truck. Debt, people issues, etc. When I'm behind the wheel, rowing through gears and feeling the wind on my face with my arm out the window... I'm at peace. No amount of dumb four wheelers or sucky customers can make my day sour.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I used to get a little stressed crossing GWB. In the day you could cross on the lower level prior to 9-11 and if you looked up between the metal beams holding the upper deck up, you will see small plywood with homeless trying to sleep in what amounts to be a bouncing noisy never ending motion in a tiny space above the lower deck traffic while being gassed and heated by the truck exhaust.

There is about 100 port authority on that bridge alone, all they do is prevent suicides etc. That one bridge of all bridges in the USA has had a great impact on me and it was the most important and most loved. But don't look too close, there are broken humans clinging to it like mussels on a ship hull.

RedRover and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    All well and good. Just check an ID - wouldn't want to end up like PackRat... oh, wait, that skeeze-bag wittingly nailed underagers.

'Worth every penny' carries a different meaning when those pennies go toward bail. Or restitution. Or alimony because your wife dropped you like a hot coal. The choices you make today will certainly #### up your tomorrow.

kanidana Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.