How do you find good driver's?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Montanajon, Nov 21, 2017.

1. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Better pay and benefits won’t help you find a good driver it will just make it more likely the driver you do get cares enough to do the right thing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thats very true but it’s also a very good safety blanket and it takes the mile crazy drivers out of the equation for me. I actually had a guy last week look at me like I was crazy when I told I couldn’t hire him cuz I couldn’t give him 4000 miles a week. He found a job somewhere else I’m sure looking into being able to offer all the benefits it just gets super expensive once all is involved but I have time just trying to build on quality and not quantity. If a person is not a right fit I rather have the truck sit instead of just putting an ### on a chair and being nothing but headaches for all. That’s y I was asking for the inputs just to see if there is anything I could do to make it an easier work environment it’s bad enough I run out of Chicagoland right then and there everyone automatically becomes skeptical but I understand where they are coming from

4. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    But 6,that's not true! I am a freaking good driver and I always look for better job and better money.

shogun and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I don't know about other segments of the industry because open decks are all I've done and most of what we do is not overly time sensitive. The job I'm at now we do from step decks up to 13 axles. I'm still on the lower rungs of that step decks, 3-4 axle lowboys but do quite a bit of oversize.

We are paid DAILY rates that are consistent if we can't run because permits, need a reset, truck town, running your ### off. If you are on the truck you're paid today. It takes away a lot of the stress from shippers or traffic or all the normal crap that causes delays. Once you have that off you can take the time to do the little things to take care of loads and equipment without too much worry.

It also takes miles off the table. You know how many miles I got this week? No. Seriously. Because I haven't a clue.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Toughest Job You'll ever have..Hands Diown.

You Want Drivers with Some loyalty?

Drivers with experience and clean records demand more than just a Truck and freight........

They want to see an Office,A Clean Modern Office- They want to see as yard that's Paved
    They want to see office personnel,(Not just a Guy and His Wife and their daughter)
    They Want to see a Drivers employment file with everything In black and White with o Gimmicks or liabilities
    They want company paid Benefits with at LEAST 75% covered by employer including a 401k-vacations and holidays paid without gimmicks.
    They want a quality starting salary-Not some 44 cents a mile and "All the miles you can handle " kind of attitude
    They want an hourly pay for detention,layover and breakdown
    Last but not least- They want to know YOU are Not "using" them and wasting their lives away- They Want to MATTER to you.

If you can handle this-You will be able to secure loyal drivers for years to come.

ChromeNut, Coover and Montanajon Thank this.
  7. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Just going off your past comments, that's debatable....

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  9. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Because?

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell

This is @Dye Guardian. 22 yrs old. Straight up A Game driver. If I had another truck, that's the driver I'd want. He does well what he's doing. I wouldn't catch him answering want ads. I would see him on the job somewhere. I would hand him a business card and try to steal him by offering him a better gig in a better truck. Dye hasn't told me that he's an A Game driver. I've seen his loads, his tarp jobs on TWO trailers. Incredible work ethic.

The only thing I would worry about is his meeting some girl with mental problems and anger management problems that would possibly screw up his mind. Would probably fly him out to Thailand to better his odds of staying drama free.

Dye Guardian and Montanajon Thank this.
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Hmmm whats the definition of a good driver? Is it one who can safely drive to their destination, put up with all the hogwash at the receivers warehouse, then go around and put up with the hogwash at the dispatchers warehouse then sit patiently in the traffic on your way out, find a park at the next truck stop without blocking anyone else off, avoid being overloaded, avoid going over your legal hours, avoid a speeding citation, and enjoying a well earned rest yeah i could do that! :cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.