How do you get into dump trailer business in ct

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Sailor sean, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    yeah I work for my money because i can't figure out how to make it work for me :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lowrider123

lowrider123 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2010
    CT
    start talking to people, go do O&G, though CAO has that deal, but. . .
    Go to Haynes, talk to some other dump trailer companies up here. I'm in the process of doing the samething. I'm looking for a truck or a tri-axle to get started and see where that goes, I can get more work with a tir-axle dump right now then a dump trailer. I'm starting small, that may be a good way to start for you as well. (just my 2 cents)

4. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    CAO is owned by bob oneglias son, think his name is chris. don't think it's likely that anyone will be horning in on that one lol O&G owns things...like a dozen or so "competitor" non and union construction companys, several gravel banks of other names etc. doesn't actually seem like that's the type of material i'd be interested in getting involved in, dirt pays dirt wages unless it's your site/job. blacktop, salt, biproducts, dirty dirt. those seem to pay well.
    Triaxle work seems to come and go. my friend has 2. work is either 1 running 24 hrs, and the other 12....or verylittle work at all. Feast or famine.
    Benefit for me is I already have a truck, just get a dump trailer to hook to vs the flats. triaxle has benefits as well, but you can't just switch bodies depending on the season. i talked to a couple other guys in my area (brookfield/new milford/newtown area) about it (they have triaxles) and they seemed to have a good perspective, but have been at it a while and have a lot of contacts in that area of trucking.
    It can be done, I'm in no hurry. Just keeping my options open, and considering that in 20 years I doubt I'll be wanting to yank tarps around in the winter...or the dead of summer..or as I start to feel even older :/ lol

5. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    The dump end of trucking in Ct sucks. To many involved and rates are low and mostly paid in 90 days if you go the dirty dirt route. The good runs the guys have tied up and you will not get into there little group. I ran dump trailer for 10 years untill i could not handle the rate cutting no more. you will get a job for lets say $10 a ton within a few days the rate will drop to $5 a ton. Can try metal management hauling scrap. Can also try SRS or Clean Slate but the pay is 90 days and from a guy i know that hauls for them to many got involved and the rates are lower. Theres also alot of demo out of this area going to Oh and PA but the rate is the same it was 15 years. ago. IMO i would not go back to the dump side of trucking ever again. If you want PM me and i will give you the name of some dump brokers i used to use , give them a call and see what they say.

6. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I had heard about metal managements deal....sounded...meh. like if I had nothing going on I would consider it, but certainly not impressive numbers. I know that SRS spreads things out, but 90 days makes a difference and the rates I was hearing seemed to make sense if one was to run consistently overweight...At some point in the future I may consider it, at this point I am satisfied enough doing what I'm doing. Good information RBHT, good to hear from someone who has decided on another route.

7. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I was talking to a CTI driver on the cb last night, said he runs coils up to CT and crushed glass back from NYC in a dump trailer all from Pittsburgh, he seemed to do alright pay wise.

8. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    I have a freind that drives for one of the companys that hauls dirty dirt and he tells me there over weight all the time. Leave real eary in the am to get to the landfill.

9. yankeecentury

yankeecentury Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi rbth

I would be interested in what brokers I could contact in ct. I'm thinking of purchasing a tri axle. I can't seem to PM you. Maybe you can PM me.

Thanks

10. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Dirty dirt pays great up here and you can go to work tomorrow, you will get your check 120 days from now after they make interest off what they owe you

11. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Coils in a dump trailer?
    I did not even think of that but is dam well the safer then a flat bed.
    No worries of the coil fall off the truck like a flat bed.
    Got to remember that coil in a dump idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.