How do you get miles in the winter?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bertita1986, Nov 4, 2017.

1. bertita1986

bertita1986 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Is it pretty much a given that if you run primarily the northern portion of the country your income will be halved in winter?

Ice, snow, sleet, blizzards, driving 40mph on the interstate, pulling over, parking due to conditions, traffic delays from people wrecking...

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Why's it a given ... income goes down because the economy slows down the first if the year, freight drops off ... but weather has nothing to do with.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's not all that bad. You make a lot of your own luck out here. Fortunate and unfortunate timing has a lot to do with it, too. But keeping yourself aware of current weather and forecast weather along your route is critical.

Sometimes pushing through an additional 3 hours one late afternoon can save you a chaining and perhaps 200 miles of bad road the next day. Conditions can change fast, both for the better and for the worse.

Routing around systems is sometimes an option but only if you project ahead and do your homework.

Wintertime is bad time to excercise poor time management and to be wasting time parked when you have hours and good roads.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Danny707, D.Tibbitt, dunchues and 2 others Thank this.
  5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I guess if you only deliver air conditioners and swimming pools but it doesn't have much affect on my miles.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    My highest mileage quarter was Jan-Mar year before last and most of my time was on 90-94 between PacNW and upper Midwest.

I much more prefer driving winter than other times of the year where construction and traffic density is highest

Truckermania, Lepton1 and tinytim Thank this.
  7. bertita1986

Sep 30, 2017
    Any good resources? Apps, websites, etc to stay on top of the weather forecast for a route?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Every state has a road report app.
    I run reefer in the PNW and my miles don't drop,even when I sit for a day or two for a pass to open.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I use this one a lot for cross country planning but be advised they've had a glitch in the display of the 3 Preliminary Forecast maps (they stopped updating about 3 weeks ago). Just refer to the Final Forecast maps

WPC Winter Weather Forecasts

Also utilize all the various state ran road conditions web sites and apps that are applicable to your operating range. Some of the app UI's suck and you're better off using their desktop web sites.

10. bertita1986

Sep 30, 2017
    Well what's your per mile pay, and how many miles do you run on one of those weeks where you have to wait a couple days?

11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Winter isn’t that bad. Most years I only lose two days for really bad weather. Most times the lighter snow falls don’t effect anything at all, just part of life in the Great Whitt North. January is usually my second or third best month of the year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.