How do you guys stay in shape!!!

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by marinegordon, May 13, 2008.

1. dmg1029

dmg1029 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    I think exercise is something that anyone can do. YOU just have to find what works for YOU. I run so that's my out. BUT I also do other stuff. One easy thing anyone can do is to get a soccer ball from walmart (cheap.. <$10). When you stop at rest areas or any place with an area to run, bring the soccer ball and just kick it around for 10-15 minutes. Works great!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lego1970

lego1970 Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    It's not as easy as when your home, but it can be done. My father used to run marathons and I've been jogging since I was in second grade. I ran my first 6 mile race in third grade and while I've never had any desire to run a marathon, I go both overnight backpacking and take day hikes whenever I get the chance, plus I do tree work occasionaly so staying fit is important to me. At 39, I'm still as healthy as I've always been but as far as staying fit for the girls, well, I can take my shirt off and not feel the least bit insecure, but my stomach is not as flat as it used to be. Despite that, I seem to have more luck with women now, then when I was younger and had a better body. Anyway, here is my routine, good luck.

I jog 2-4 times a week for 15-30 minutes. It's kinda hard when first running OTR, because you don't know where to run without getting run over, but after awhile you find routes to jog. Jogging in winter is even harder with all the snow and slush so during the winter I really cut back on the calories. I also keep dumbells and a chest stretcher and I'll use those on the days that I don't jog. Basicaly I alternate jogging and dumbells daily. I do push ups either in the showers, or off the steps of the truck. I do squats with no weights and situps daily in the cab of the truck (normaly squats for the length of one song and situps for another song). Aside from that I try to watch my calorie intake as much as possible. Good luck.

4. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Huh? Wait a minute:

How many miles are you guys getting a week? It seems like everyone has soooooooo much time to work out. Not really a bad thing, but I usually get ran to death every week. By the time that I stop for the day, I am usually so tired that I just walk around the truck for a visual inspection, walk around the parking lot for a few minutes, maybe grab a shower, and go straight to sleep.

But what will ultimately work for me? Getting away from a sedentary job in the first place. Pretty soon, you can't have too high of a body mass index (BMI). Thank the gub-ment for that. If your BMI is too high, say good-bye to your license. In the long run it's either shape up or ship out.

5. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    And I am sure that American truckers can be replaced by the Mexican trucker under NAFTA. Solve the overweight trucker problem by pulling a foreign labor source into the driver market that is exempt from our law.

American truckers had better get involved or we will soon be as passe' as the American Garment Workers are today.

Outsource your manufacturing, import labor for all the jobs that are left and Americans will wake up one day a foreigner in the country their forefathers built.

I remember being skinny, back when I was running two log books and taking "road medication". But this is just what we need at this point is another American labor group on the ropes.

6. universal10

universal10 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2009
    winnipeg
    if you walk 32 times around your truck and trailer it equals 1 mile

7. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    Remember that load bar I use to hang my getto in truck shower curtain and camping shower bag from? this also doubles as a pull up bar and I have resistance bands and ab straps I can hang from it. You would be amazed at how much you can do with just the simple small things.

Also for more vigorous exercise you can go to west Memphis to the hook err pilot and yell some random insult to a pimp and then run like the wind.:cya:

8. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Saw those shaker dumbells advertised on TV for the first time today. Let us know how they work for you.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

JimDriv3r and Texas-Nana Thank this.
  9. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Resistance bands are great for exercise. With a little inguenity you can do anything with them.

10. BigRigJenny

BigRigJenny Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Pembroke, ON
    I love working out- it helps me feel less stressed and more energetic. Sometimes it's tricky to schedule runs and jogs, but I can usually squeeze in a 15-20 minute one before I head out in the mornng or while I'm waiting for a load.

The other thing I like to do is jump rope. I keep a small nylon jumprope under my bunk, and I pull it out once in a while if I can't go out jogging. And a few sit ups and push ups don't hurt either.

And I also try to eat as healthy as I can. It's not always easy when I'm OTR, because truck stops usually have really greasy foods, but I find that those pre-made salads you get at grocery stores are pretty good- I make sure to stock up on those. I try to swap foods like chips and cheetos for things like rice cakes and vegetable crackers. And over the years I've tried to cut back on coffee (I'm down to 3 cups a day now), and I drink LOTS of water.

Just a few things I do...

11. schmud0811

schmud0811 Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Phoenix,AZ
    truck driving has been killing me physically, i have lost over 30lbs doing this job, i used to lift alot of weights and take supplements and stuff......anyhow i stay in shape by running everyother day temperature or weather doesn't stop me, but been running at least every other day for the last 13 years, i refuse to get out of shape and let myself go like a large majority of us out their.
    i drink a gallon of water a day minimum
    dont eat fast food
    i eat subway for a treat,usually after a tarp job

saving up for a weight set for the truck, im going to through a full 300lb olympic set with a colapsible bench, going to find soem way to strap it to my headache rack!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.