How do you otr drivers sit away from home for your reset?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by peabody747, Sep 18, 2022.

1. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Play Lot lizard roulette.

lynchy, Czar_Zero, aussiejosh and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I had the wife with me.

peabody747 Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Well, truck-stops provide some entertainment. Most have arcades/pinball machines (whoopee) a TV room where you can listen to drivers who can drink more beer, run more miles, get coast-coast in 52 hrs running solo, on and on, right ? One guy on here had to spend 14 days in a hotel waiting for his truck repairs. THAT would drive me insane. Then there is the parking lot and your CB radio. A six pack of cold ones in your cooler on ice, I had some fun times in Houston years ago.

5. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
  6. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Lots of fun times sitting in the back row of a truckstop. We would start out with some cold ones then all of a sudden someone would get out a grill. Can anybody say block party? Cases of beer and we would wear out a grill from how much food we would cook. Almost miss the otr then I read the horror stories on this site. Nah, I will stay line haul. Good times though.

7. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I do 4.9 34 hour resets at the house every week. Never get bored.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I took the Jane Goodall approach in a strip club. All you have to do is sit at the bar, order a basket of fries, sit it on the bar, and wait.

9. Kirbs

Kirbs Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Rarely would I ever do a reset on the road. Always at home terminal. You shouldn't have to if you run recaps or just don't want to go home. Now if I got stuck somewhere because there's no loads available that's different. Usually happens during/after holidays. Most truck stops have decent wifi/mobile signal so internet shouldn't be a problem, but it can get congested during peak hours. I kept a HDD full of TV series/movies to watch on downtime just incase. Longest I sat was 3 days at a non-home terminal during the middle of winter, and it absolutely sucked. It's actually what made me consider switching to local trucking/LTL. Some people enjoy the downtime but I'm not staying out 3+ weeks to sit around doing nothing. Not making money sitting. With LTL I stay running hard, make more money and have more home time so OTR just didn't cut it for me anymore.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    The company I worked for usually sent us down to Los Angeles, the load would be ready by around noon Saturday, and we had till early Monday morning to get to the receiving warehouse. We'd pick up a load going back to Salt Lake City to unload Tuesday morning, reload usually for a trip across on I - 80 to Sacramento arrive back in Logan UT by Friday, from this point on we'd do our 34 hour reset so was always "home" over the weekend, thought about renting an apartment but ruled it out as I'd only really spend about 1 1/2 days a week sleeping there think it really comes down to the kind of person we are, very active people would find it a task, I was quite content a real couch potato so to speak spent most of my time hanging around LW's truck stop or at the local Golden Corral. Would usually go hook up to my trailer load around 2 pm on Saturday out at Scriebers Cheese then run on down to Nephi spend the night there at the Flying J, then the following morning head off after a good breakfast, next pit stop Whisky Petes on the CA/ NV border.

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.