How do you otr drivers sit away from home for your reset?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by peabody747, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Google will find whatever you want to do or see nearby. I never spent time at truck stops, always dropped the wagon and went to whatever,,bars, museums, golf course, any point of interest or the local towns claim to fame

4. SayeTrucking

SayeTrucking Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2022
    Minnesota
    I'm a newbie driver (just over a year under my belt) and I made the mistake of taking a load from MN to TN over Labor Day Weekend... Sat in my truck Sunday to Wednesday... How did I handle the boredom?

VIDEO GAMES!!

Hubby and I decided that if I was going to be otr, I needed a lap top and an EXCELLENT internet connection so we picked up a gaming lap top (top of the line!) and a mobile hotspot. Wasn't too bad tbf and most truck stops have some kind of WiFi you can hook up to.

I also walked a lot, just for a change of pace! Took in the sights from the mountains (are they mountains? they seem like mountains to someone from the great plains LOL!) and took a TON of pictures.

Get out to the local hang out spot, ask the employees of the stop you're at what's good in the area, Uber/Lyft if you need to but also just walking can be a ton of fun. Talk to locals! See if they have any interesting local legends you can learn!!

All of this advice is subject to change once I'm over the OTR honeymoon period...

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Yes, they are mountains. The GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS! ROCKY TOP!

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
  7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I had a Radio Shack Color Computer with a 300 baud modem. Watch a page load one word at a time. Lol

wis bang, D.Tibbitt, Opus and 3 others Thank this.
  8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I too keep my folding ebike in the truck. I only stay out 4-5 nights a week and never do any 34s on the road. But with the advent of ride share like Uber and Lyft, I'd imagine getting away from the truck in a foreign area on a long break is a little less dull.

Of course if you're stuck in an area that still doesn't have those. Then it could be a pain.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I drove long haul over 16 years in total, about 8 year each, once in the 90’s and then again starting in 07, and got off in ‘15, there are times I really miss being over the road, it’s just in my blood, striking up a conversation with another, just lounging in the driver lounge, I can remember truck stops that had “drivers only areas” in the dinner! For me it was life! Loved being on the road, wondering what my next load was going to be! It felt like freedom! but trucking today has changed so much, and not for the better! To many Rambo’s, and radio ret#rds making dumb ### sounds on the radio, the fake girl orgasm, the Tarzan call, and more crap, like parking at the fuel island to do a 30 min. The brotherhood has died, and it’s sad!

Opus, kemosabi49, W923 and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Don't spoil the Level 2 course for him! ;)

[​IMG]

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You've come to the right place. TTR is an excellent coping device for the layover doldrums.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.