How do you use the jake brake on a truck with an automatic transmission?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I forgot to mention, TURN OFF the cruise control switch in the KW. Otherwise the engine brake won't engage unless you tap the brake. Otherwise it behaves just like a manual transmission. Well.....it is actually a manual transmission. Just shifted by a computer instead of a driver:D

striker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Let the truck do its thing. The computer will not let the engine run at a dangerous RPM. Sounds to me like the jake is doing exactly what the engineers designed it to do.

truckguy391, not4hire, lester and 4 others Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Might want to read this:
    New Cascadia Driver's Manual
    2300rpm......that's overspeed on the rpm's according to the manual.
    So 2200 is ok.

5. slow pok

slow pok Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2013
    lizela ga
    I set my Cruz 4 below what speed I want and let it do the work. It will keep it at set speed or 5 above I have the cascadia dd15

6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Actually the manual states this; " Recommended engine braking speed is above 1800 rpm and below the rated speed.
    Which confirms what I was told several years back....the new engines can run 2500 RPM coasting in gear (downgrade without throttle). Throttle will not activate until under the 2300 set limit.

truckguy391 and InTooDeep Thank this.
  7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    2 different automatic trucks, never had a problem figuring out how to use my engine brakes, I've gone down Floyd, Eisenhower, Vail at 84,000 and never touched the brake pedal, only let the engine brakes work. If your doing it correctly, with the majority of these automatics, you'll actually be giving the truck fuel because the engine brakes will work too well.

Also, check your cruise control, some of these newer automatics also have a hill descent control, it's a standard feature on M-Drive equipped Macks and I-shift equipped Volvo's. PACCAR has a variation of it, doesn't work as well, but it works. It will scare the bejeezus out of you the first dozen times you use it, but once you get used to it, you'll love it.

As @Dockbumper said, if it's a KW turn off the cruise control or the engine brakes won't work, although there is a setting that can be changed for this if you have the correct software.

Jenn72 Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I didn't read every post, but try to use the Cruise control with full engine brakes to control your speed.
    (The DD15/DT12 combo makes you turn off the engine brake when you set the cruise, because it handles everything.)
    As you come to a downhill lower the cruise speed by 2-3, then let the computer handle it.
    It will hold you very close to your original speed setting, adjusting the engine brake level as needed.

If you are too heavy with a very steep hill then disable the cruise and use whatever level of engine brake you need, and maybe a little brake in between.

I love the auto's when it comes to controlling downhill speed. They make it much easier to maintain the speed you actually want instead of having to choose a gear and settle for the speed it gives you.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The freightliner DT12 auto is one of the best out there. As mentioned, a good way to descend is to set the cruise 4-5mph lower than you want and the engine brake will come on automatically to maintain that speed.

I put 375,000 on a freightliner with the DT12 and very rarely ever had to touch the brake pedal coming down hills.

10. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    Winner winner chicken dinner.... Especially since he has no idea what some of the buttons do.

Brettj3876, Jenn72 and expedite_it Thank this.
  11. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I agree except he's not going to get a chicken dinner from me. Pressing the like button on his post is as far as it goes with me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.