How does a new company get a rack card for fuel hauling?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TexasKGB, Jul 26, 2022.

1. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    I realize this is a basic question, just trying to round out knowledge of the field.

It's my understanding that tanker driver employees get added to a company rack card, which can be turned on or off.

What's the process for a company or individual driver to get rack access to draw fuel?

Thanks for your time.

pumpkinishere Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    You will get set up through the company your hauling for. I’m sure they give you a card and a PIN number and your good to go.

4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Usually the company will send your information to the rack. Then you have to load a certain number of times with a trainer, usually 3, and the operator might watch you do the third one before he cards you in the system.

wis bang, MOBee and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Rules vary, depending on the rack(company)policies. The ones I have been thru, you have an application to fill out to apply for a loading card. The training will be conducted by a co-worker of yours. The third time thru the rack, you will observed by a rack employee.
    Holly Frontier requires a 1/2 day of classroom safety training, if you are applying for a load card at the Artesia NM refinery.

wis bang Thanks this.
  6. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I’m carded at 8 racks and the process is slightly different at them all. Most require 3 loads with a trainer from your company and a 4th observation load with a terminal operator observing you. Some facilities have tests, some have in-person classes too.

Yank the Tank Thanks this.
  7. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    Some racks are more strict than others. Some require hard hats, some not. Some of them you are watched like a hawk and they freak out if they catch you not doing a walk around, god help you if they catch you on the phone under the rack, some racks require phones off on the property, and you can only call your dispatcher in the bol room.

Some racks though you’ll hardly ever see an operator and at night it may be unmanned. But with cameras they’re still watching randomly.

They’re all the same and at the same time a little different.

Just remember to hook the scully up first, and disconnect it last.

8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    This.

At some racks they would let you load other drivers and then get certified by a operator. The problem is is that we would only let a driver load our truck if he was from our company. 1-we knew that a trainer gave them the go ahead to get carded and 2- we knew we were still responsible for the correct and safe loading of the truck. Asking a stranger from a different company to put their job on the line for you might prove difficult.
    If you are an OO for a company ask how they handle it. If you are completely independent just go and ask the terminal manager what they require.
    Tell us what happens, I'm curious. Thanks.

9. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    I believe most racks policies with new companies that have never been to the rack before is that the rack will train one driver from that new company and then that driver starts training drivers and so on it goes. Your equipment has to be approved and you have to show insurance and vapor tightness test and such.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.