How does one tarp this?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Skootlez, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I am curious though. In my case, I’m not a small guy (6’3, 320ish) and a bit squeamish on heights at times. Not deathly terrified but I wouldn’t walk across a bridge on the edge lmao. How difficult would it be for me to try and tarp stuff you actually have to climb on? I keep thinking stuff will buckle under weight or something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    If you are afraid of heights flatbed or tanker might not be the best idea.

However, I remind a lot of people that if you are working on top of something tall, especially in windy conditions, many times it's easier to work on your hands and knees anyway. And if you don't like the heights doing so will keep you more stable and should be easier to deal with.

Short Fuse EOD, kylefitzy and Skootlez Thank this.
  4. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I could see that. Honesty I think I could handle that. Lol. I know the tankers where you get up on this narrow walkway with no rail, yeah no I’m good. Flatbed, eh I could handle it more I think.

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Working on top of a load is not as bad as it may seem.
    The key is to be smart about it. Plan your work. Once on top, before you do anything, look the load over, check everything, test the support and paths you will use once the tarps are rolled out. Get the tarps set and out, then get off the load and work from the ground. Use a step ladder if needed. Nothing wrong with that.

As mentioned before. If you need to crawl, do it.
    Have done exacly that, lots of times, when the situation called for it.

Highway Sailor and Long FLD Thank this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    A century ago when I was young & stupid I walked the rail on chip trucks to pull tarp loads. I'm still young just not as stupid I hope. That said just to get even I'll be a driver trainer p/t.

REO6205 and baha Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    He’s got a couple more new gliders coming this year.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m not a fan of being up in the air either, but being hooked into fall protection calms me down. Most places that require tarps either have a harness system with a rack to get on top or a system that lifts your tarp up and over.

Like others have said, don’t spend any more time on the load than you have to. Don’t get in a hurry, look everything over and remember where the holes are at if the load is uneven because you’ll cover them up once you roll your tarp out.

If you want to try it I say go for it. The worst that could happen is you don’t like it. Just make sure you go to a reputable company to get decent training on securement and such.

9. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Any recommendations? I’d like to get into it soonish (1 year ish)

Edit: I wish I could get into heavy/oversized eventually. I know I’ve been stuck in an auto since I got out of trucking school, but if I could get some practice I know it would come back to me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t have any personal experience with any, but I’ve heard Mavericlean, Central Oregon Truck Company, and Jones Brothers have good training for new flatbedders.

11. Skootlez

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Works, thank ya!

Long FLD Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.