How fast do you drive in the rain?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, May 10, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not even know how a person is suppose to answer the question, way too many variables.

D.Tibbitt, x1Heavy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Depends on the weight you have on, how heavy the rain is, terrain, visibility.

4 days ago coming from Colorado to salt lake on the I70 around 12am horizontal snow straight into the windshield made me drop to 25mph for a good 20 miles because visibility was about 50 feet ahead.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    My speed depends on many factors. What kind of roads? Straight with some curves or Pennsylvania curvy roads? How much weight I’m carrying? What’s the conditions of the tires? Am I driving in an area known to be stop and go? How far can I see? How much rain am I kicking up?

Usually if it rains hard I’m driving between 50-60. If it’s a light or moderate rain I’m running 65 or against the governor. If I see some deep puddles I will let off the throttle and try to keep it straight as I can Incase the truck hydroplanes.

D.Tibbitt and GreenPete359 Thank this.
  5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Drive to your skill/comfort level. Don’t be the person who ran outta talent!!! On the flip...if you are the only one going as slow as you are, it’s time to park & have a long convo with yourself. This job may not be for you.

Lepton1 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let em go.

That's why I like to see my mirrors on the forward fenders so I can eye my steers. If they are getting wrapped then it's fixing to hydroplane. I usually back it down some at that point.

This week has been a round of storms little tornadoes by the horde and big flooding in several areas.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Usually in the rain I like to chill at about 60 on most curvy interstate roads. I get past all the time by others who are totally in control of their trucks. I'm probably just slow. But I always have been, mentally and physically.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It depends on how much I can see in front of me. I came out Medina, OH yesterday and the sky opened up on me almost immediately after being loaded. It was start and stop very heavy rain. I slowed all the way down to 35 mph. The thing I never understand is why some 4 wheelers dont turn on their lights.

D.Tibbitt, TravR1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    French mode is what I do, I do have plans to eliminate the thirsty incandescent for LED's upfront, they pull on the battery a bit.

D.Tibbitt and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    They are 4wheelers. They are only concerned about their facebook on their phone and what they are going to wear to some stupid night club that night so they can take 800 duck lip selfies.

11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Fast enough to get there but slow enough not to hydro plane :)

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.