How feasible is it to run a one man dump truck business?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Jbrow327, Apr 26, 2022.

1. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I own and operate my own truck and end dump trailer, yes you can do it, I do it every day, still make a decent profit even with the fuel cost today, but I may need to raise my rates if they keep climbing, local only, home every day, sometimes miss being over the road, but not enough that I’d give this up! Good luck in your new adventure

darthanubis, RubyEagle and Badmon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    what sort of setup if you don’t mind the ask?

4. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Personally, If I were you, I would work for a company for a while to see what I was getting into as you mentioned you are a rookie. You need experience. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run so to speak. Saving money is a good idea but you'll need way more than you think to buy and operate a one man show. FYI I run a 1 woman show but have done it for many years. Right now I wouldn't buy a truck until I see what the price fuel and the economy does.

darthanubis, JPSouth and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Well said. This would be a bad time to dive into a business he basically knows nothing about. Look at driving for somebody else as a paid learning experience. Meet people, make contacts, network with other drivers. The really good jobs never advertise.

RGN, NightWind and JPSouth Thank this.
  6. JPSouth

JPSouth Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2022
    Southwest Montana
    What both of you said. I had a partial network in place from my days working for an employer, and started out with dirtwork being the primary business focus, trucking second. Over time, and with some additional circumstances, now it's often the opposite. Started with a single axle, went to a tandem a few years ago, and now running a NW transfer set and probably keeping the tandem for tight access, small jobs where it isn't really necessary to run all those axles.

A couple of sidelines - weekends it's worth it to haul manlifts, telebooms, hoes, other equipment for contractors, most of whom run their own or have long term rentals. Most use them, few have means or desire to cart them around. Can sometimes make enough to pay for the weekly fuel bill, and it's relatively easy duty.

The other trucking that nobody really wants is hauling demo concrete, for the obvious reason. But there is often a big call for it, and with a good AR500 elliptical bed that'll take the punishment you can charge top dollar if you get hooked up with the right outfits. If a new dump truck owner had one set up for that kind of hauling, knocked on doors, I'd bet the work would be there.

REO6205 and NightWind Thank this.
  7. kds_5280

kds_5280 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2021
    Colorado
    @MOBee where in CO is he operating if you don’t mind me asking? I’m currently running an end dump for a small company, mainly to Martin Marietta pits. But I see O/O’s everywhere I go and am wanting to get my own truck. Been wondering if all these guys get the business/contracts on their own or if they run for larger companies?

8. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    I’ve got a 99’ PETERBILT 379 with a 01 western 1/4 frame enddump

9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Curious, where at in MI? I'm just outside Lansing, and looking into switching gears to local work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.