How good do I have it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by deafaviator, Apr 21, 2018.

1. deafaviator

deafaviator Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Been with my current tanker company for 6 months now. I am enjoying it, but I am starting to wonder if I can have it this good with a regional/local operation that gets me home more often, or if I should stick it out with these guys.

I was flown out, first class (yes, literally on a first class flight) to orientation. Was paid $100/day for that.
    I have a very good dispatcher, who keeps me running nonstop. I have never, in 6 months, waited more than 30 minutes for an assignment. 95% of the time I have another assignment before my current one is completed. The dispatcher takes care of every single issue I have, whatever it takes. Gets me home before I ask to be home to be sure there's no chance of me running late getting home. I have *zero* issues with my dispatcher... and he is probably what most of us would consider a role model for the type.

I run anywhere from 2800-3800 miles a week. A good chunk of that variation comes down to how well I run myself. My biggest week was 3950 miles including a 34 reset.

Paid $0.40/mile, plus $16/hour detention anytime I am held up more than two hours (rare - maybe 2-3x a month). $225 breakdown pay. EFS Checks to cover all larger expenses. All smaller out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed without question (unless it is something the company obviously shouldn't be buying for you). Also get paid $20 per stop (Load/Unload/Drop/Hook). Take home about $800/wk on average

Maintenance is on the ball, issues are fixed right away.

Trucks governed at 74 unless dialed down due to history of damage/speeding tickets. Allowed to treat trucks as your own, modifications, upgrades, etc whatever you want, - permanent modifications typically allowed if it enhances the truck and you have maintenance approval, which is almost always a yes. They don't have a lot of newer trucks since it's a smaller operation but they do take care of the trucks they have. New engines/transmissions aren't uncommon in a lot of the older rigs. My truck is about due to have both replaced soon.

Basically it seems to be a very good operation. I am on track to average out at about $65k/year.

I know it might be a silly question but just how good is this place? In other words, would I have a hard time finding something closer to home (Colorado Springs/Denver) with the same quality of operations and similar pay? Are companies like this that rare?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    While your carrier makes $5500.00 per week off of you-

Yes,I Know what Im saying- You Should be Grossing $1600-$1700 per week hauling Chemical/oil/fuel , If your Netting $800 per week take Home(That's bout $1200 gross)- They paid you a bare 22% of the gross revenue- NOT ENOUGH for your efforts- Just my 2 cents

skellr, Just passing by, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  4. deafaviator

deafaviator Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Your cents are what I am looking for. My issue with that though is how realistic is it for a relatively new driver like me to actually be making that much? Because unfortunately, the reality, very few company drivers are actually paid what they deserve to be paid.

5. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Well, If you were hauling a van or Reefer,Then Id say $800 per week is on target with minimal experience- I been in the game a long time- Tank work requires more thinking-calculating and safety procedures- The Risks go up- So should your salary.

I Think a $65k per year salary hauling a tank is way Subpar- Should be $80-$90 k. they are taking you for a ride because of your Lack of experience.

How do you fix that? If you enjoy tank work-And don't want to wait years for proper salary- Find an Oil company directly-Or find a union carrier...

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You're making about 1/3 of what your should be making.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Here’s the other side of that coin.

He’s got a 74 mph truck, and it sounds like a very laid back place to work with micromanagement being pretty much non-existent. Clearing $800 a week isn’t the worst thing in the world there given the conditions.

8. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I Suppose,For that person that just doesn't Care about the reason you do this in the first place-
    I Dunno MACK- It puts a bad taste in my mouth knowing a Chemical carrier is paying a bit under what his responsibilities dictate everyday.

Heck, I'll bet you net Better than $800 per week in the LTL world. Your Home nightly too if I remember..

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    atmosphere is worth money to me.

less stress and a company that takes of you is rare. I would there for that money and I've been driving for over 30 yrs.

money is not everything.

plus he's only got 6 mos. experience, or 6 mos. at that company.

Suspect Zero, austinmike and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Typically about $900-$1000....

stayinback Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Usually a company that will hire a rookie like that has issues with the law and likely gets pulled around back at every scale. If he doesn’t, then I’d say he doesn’t really have it too bad.

The other thing to consider is cost of living out there vs a place like Chicago for example.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.