How hard is manual shift?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lupe, Dec 28, 2010.

1. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

I fart in your general direction!

Now go away or I shall taunt you some more!

I love me some Monty!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    oh ya.. that thing to the left.. "clutch" ya don't that for anything

4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    No you don't...Not if you know how to really operate a transmission.

Yes they do...If you know how to operate the equipment.

If they're worn out...Otherwise, No.

So....My truck is 10 years old with 1.5 million miles on the clock, When will I need to start using the clutch?

5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    usually the older a truck is--with wear it becomes easier to shift--you just kind of toss it either back or forward and it goes into gear by itself--unless you are a trying to be a rice burner boy with the double clutch and a slam shift

lupe Thanks this.
  6. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    It's easier to shift than it used to be. Lets take a nostalgic stroll into antiquity...

Auxiliary in under, main in 1st, auxiliary to direct, auxiliary to over, main to 2nd and auxiliary to under, auxiliary to direct, auxiliary to over, main to 3rd and auxiliary to under.... you see where I'm going with this.....

Don't get caught with both in neutral, make the shifts "square" to avoid jamming the linkage, and shift the main first during compound shifts.

You won't learn how to shift by reading about it on the internet.

7. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Easy on the new guy W9. His trainer was probably a newbie too. I wonder what the percentage of drivers out there that floats is nowadays? With such a high turn over rate valuable knowledge is being lost in the sea of newbies. I think this explains all the high beam flashing going on.

Kagetsu, you can drive a semi without a clutch just fine. No its not hard. The term for this is called "floating". Most experienced veterans only drive this way. It is so much easier and will save you from having to replace your left knee cap by age 45.

8. muabbor

muabbor Bobtail Member

May 20, 2009
    Mpls Minn
    Anyone tells you you will never grind gears once you are used to them is lying! It all gets easier with time, but everyone grinds them every so often. Get pissed at the boss and the gears grind so much easier!! You willl learn your truck in a trip or two.

9. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    I will tell you straight up,I'm as good as they come,forwards or backwards
    and I still tickle a hole a few times "A DAY" and be far from perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  10. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    My first Peterbilt 387 had 550,000 miles and the tranny was like butter... meaning I could float gears all day. It was actually easier to float rather than clutch.

My "new" 387 has 350,000 miles and I have a helluva time floating the gears since the newer tranny is so notchy and tight when shifting out of gear. I have just gone back to double clutching. Or sometimes I disengage the clutch to get it out of gear, let the clutch out after it's in neutral, and time it right to float my way into the next gear.

I drove manual transmissions in all my cars and trucks for 20 years before a began driving a truck, and the biggest hindrance learning to shift a non synchronious truck trans was remembering to not push the clutch all the way to the floor after the vehicle was rolling (thus engaging the clutch brake.) That habit too a few hours to rid myself of.

11. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Sounds like a old Mack Dumper i had, Had to use both hands to shift it and there was no power steering. If i remember right, it was a 1967

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.