how i polish rims when they get in pretty rough shape

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ezrider_48501, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    normally just polish on the truck quick touch ups in between but this is how i do it once they get pretty beat up pitted ect.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    They look good after that quick touch up!

May I suggest something but don't take it the wrong way, but you should wear a respirator and a face shield while doing that. Breathing in aluminum dust isn't good for you. You probably already know that and wanted to do a video without that in the way.

I polish my truck a couple times a year and use a face respirator with visor protection and really like it.

Anyways good work and look forward to more videos from you.

4. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    thank you.

yeah i am aware of that, i guess generally when i sand them i do them wet so its not really a problem. just use a spray bottle with some water in it to keep it wet down. i did the first one before i filmed this wet. i was thinking someone else may be using a electric sander so i choose to do it dry this time so people wouldn't think that it had to be done wet. right when i first started sanding they threw quite a bit of dust right about the time i was thinking of grabbing my respirator it had all the bad high spots knocked off and the dust was pretty minimal so i just finished. if its something you do all the time a respirator would probably be mandatory. many of them things are cumulative. a tiny bit of aluminum dust once or twice a year not likely to be a problem, a little bit every day could be a big problem. also may sound weird but in less than ideal air conditions its better to breath threw your nose. than your mouth your nose helps to catch filter particles in the air. although not a substitute for a respirator if you find yourself in less than ideal air conditions without one its a good thing to know.

i really need to remember that kind of stuff when making video's because although i had conscious thought in my head about the dust, someone else following my video might not realize the potential hazard there.

they came out looking pretty good. a lot better than they were, i normally don't let them get that bad. i don't shoot for a mirror Finnish. i like to get to about the shine a new machined aluminum rim has. the conditions i operate my truck in is really not favorable to polished rims so the extra work to get a mirror like Finnish is not worth it to me. but i cant stand the acid washed aluminum look either...lol

Grubby, Shock Therapy and SAR Thank this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Nice work. I let mine go a little longer than I usually do last year so I tried a menzerna green bar and a 6000 rpm airway buffing wheel and it did a nice job.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You pay someone $50 or $60 and relax.

Opus Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I get a wheel man 50 bucks maybe a have him have at it. I don't need brass button shine. I just need a little something so DOT don't pick me out of a row of trucks looking ratty at the coop.

I prefer aluminum wheels to Budd Steels. I hate the Budds more than anything. Like wearing 100 pound shoes with rust and all.

8. Ezrider_48501

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    my tractor has 8 outside tires so $50 per wheel so it would be 400 bucks. i can buy everything to polish mine including tools for half that. that does not include polishing tanks or other aluminum. once you buy the tools the actual cost is only a few bucks to do them all including tanks is only a few bucks in consumables. most the consumables will do your entire trucks multiple times over.

50 bucks for a entire truck is just going to get you a quick touch up if your lucky. witch i guess is fine if that's all you need.

a quick touch up on the truck takes 5 mins per wheel. polishing a really rough rim 20-30 mins each. do a couple each weekend after a month everything is polished up.

blairandgretchen, SAR and Tug Toy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.