How is a truck driver different than a steering wheel holder?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by The Hardcard, Nov 16, 2008.

1. The Hardcard

The Hardcard Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I see forum posters make this distinction alot, but I'll be honest, I don't know what the difference is. And I'd like to know.

I have been driving tractor trailers for more than 5 years, but only went OTR in September. I have seen all kinds of behavior out there, but I don't know what I am looking at. Or even about myself for that matter.

Just curious if there is any particular criteria, or if it just an epithet when someone ticks you off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    A lot of the respect and value of others is extinct. When someone refers to a steering wheel holder it is one who cares for nothing, but himself. He does not share the road. He merely steers his truck and doesn't do squat other than hold the wheel.

psanderson Thanks this.
  4. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    Well put Monkey boy.:yes2557:

5. BullGoose

BullGoose Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    New Effington, SD
    NoTarps is right. It has to do with class, respect and professionalism. No half arsing around. If you are simply marking time collecting a paycheck till something better comes along, you're a stearing wheel holder. If you are doing this job, and doing it well because it is built into you, you are a truck driver.

heyns57 and Joetro Thank this.
  6. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    I dont think if youre waiting for something else you are automatically a steering wheel holder. Who wouldnt move on if the "right" job came along? However, if you are not trying to get better at what you do, then ya, i'd say you are a steering wheel holder. If you arent trying to do the job to the best of your ability then, yep, wheel holder.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    panhandlepat and BullGoose Thank this.
  7. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    You should post this on the one about why don't you lift to let others pass!

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Run your truck smarter. If you are going 1 mph faster than me why should I kick my cruise off??????????/ I am not responsible for your poor decision making abilities. If I can't pass with out causing a parade I won't. Why should you be any different?

ssbowles and psanderson Thank this.
  9. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    A truck driver is conscious of public relations. He or she takes pride in the history of the trucking industry. A truck driver understands the strengths and weaknesses of each mode of transportation, and respects his competitors.

psanderson Thanks this.
  10. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Truckdrivers of old were also mechanics. They would routinely repair their trucks themselves on the side of the road and even stop to help one another get going again.

Today the majority of drivers simply drive, sleep, collect their paycheck and go home. Things have become easier for drivers to get in the industry. Everything from automatic transmissions to taking the truck into a repair shop for something as simple as changing a headlight or fuel filter.

Truckdrivers are prepared for almost every contingency on the road. They have tools, spare parts, carry chains for pull starting other trucks and take care of their equipment.

Steering wheel holders normally have their creature comforts in the truck and their clothes but don't have the tools necessary to even change a fuel filter.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    heyns57 and psanderson Thank this.
  11. schlepper004

schlepper004 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    what's a fuel filter? (LOL!)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.