How is it possible to get your CDL but then not know how to road test??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigDog Trucker, Nov 29, 2019.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I saddened to read this, and behalf of myself, the rest of the staff, and the Truckers’ Report as a whole I offer our prayers.

May your remaining days be spent in comfort and in the company of love and family. I would have been honored to meet you in this life, and may we meet someday at the end of that big road at the truck stop in the hereafter and swap beers and stories.

Know that many, including myself, have enjoyed your contributions to our community and you will be missed.

May the good Lord find and keep you always.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I took a road test for a prospective job 6 or 7 years ago
    ( i turned it down) , but during the test the safety guy was in the jump seat talking to me and feeling me out.
    He knew that i had millions of miles under me... still had to go through the routine.
    The truck was not what i was used to driving... at all.

We eased out of the gate.. made the fine turns.. chatting about this and that.
    When we attempted to accelerate down the ramp to merge into interstate traffic, I missed a gear with the totally unfamiliar tranny.
    I never quit talking... pushed in the clutch... took it out of gear... raised the RPM... reinserted the shifter and never missed a beat.

He said.. " take it back to the yard. You're good. Most guys panic in that situation. You didn't flinch".

The longer you do this, the easier it gets.
    Being new is not a crime.
    But, the schools have a responsibility to make sure the students know their curriculum inside and out.
    It's what they're paying for.

Hazmat Cat Thanks this.
  4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Sorry to hear that @Lepton1. I hope whatever power is out there is watching over you. Good luck friend. Here’s to seeing you on the other side. I wish nothing but peace and well being to you and yours.

5. randomname

randomname Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Lepton,
    I spend a lot of time lurking and listening on here, and I always listened to you more than most. One of the ones that can inform without pontificating, the mark of a kind soul.
    We learn too late how trivial are the battles we choose to fight in this life.
    I wish you peace brother.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.