How is it to work for Schneider?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by charesewilliams, Nov 11, 2021.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    This info is from 2004 to early 2007, but they were an okay starter company back then. They took advantage of your free labor, they used mover's guide miles to cut down your mileage pay, and office people spoke to you like they were CIA and you were on a need-to-know basis.

But the checks never bounced, the work was steady, and the equipment was mostly good.

An okay place to get the experience to land a better job, for sure. I'd say an upper tier megacarrier, but still a megacarrier.

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    The person asked a legitimate question. Can you please tell us what company you work for?

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  4. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    The Real fact is, they ain't got no panties on!!!

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I started out with Schneider--first OTR dry van, then later went into their intermodal division.

Is Schneider a good place to begin? Really...it depends on what your goals are in the world of trucking.

Yes, their initial training (beyond CDL school) is indeed very good.

Three (other) advantages with Schneider:

1) You can get experience pulling different types of freight, without changing companies/carriers (as a new driver, this was important to me).

2) They have an extensive terminal/yard network--so finding parking in tough places is easier, in many cases (this later became important to me).

3) It's impossible to begin to comprehend the vast amount of freight Schneider has--& so as long as you're pulling a box--they will likely keep you moving, even in a tough recession (as they did with me).

Now, for the bad news: their pay is generally regarded as some of the lower in the business.

Also: your time with a trainer (out on the road, after orientation) will likely be VER-RY SHORT--about a week, or so.

WARNING: If you do decide to start with Schneider, and you want to go tanker--only do so if they will put you on a DEDICATED ACCOUNT. Pass up on tanker OTR with them.

With all of that said--Chinatown's suggestions here on this forum for a new driver will very likely make you much more successful financially.

--Lual

Tadakatsu Thanks this.
  6. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    They did not for me. As long as you go to a DOT certified doc all is good. They do hair folicle and urine drug tests. So don't be surprised there.

As for how are they to work for? A lot depends on what kind of driving you are doing you get a long with your DTL's and other things. For me OTR was a rough start due to how big they are. You rarely talked to the same person if you called for questions and such. But after a while you start getting the same folks. Finding empties can be an adventure in of itself. If you are on a dedicated account, which I have transferred to things are more consistent. That is a bonus with them to. If you find OTR full country, regional or whatever doesn't suit you they can transfer you to a different "account" to help suit your needs. I been with them for 4 months now. I did regional at first and couldn't get along with the DTL at first. Had ..... intense conversation with him then he settled down some after realizing I wasn't a 20 something y/o push over. Decided to transfer to a dedicated account and things are a lot better for me at the moment. They do refer, dry van, intermodal, tanker and flat bed. Going to their website you can find what's open to your area and see what tickles your curiosity. Some folks have a sticking point for their Sleep Apnea process. I did not have to go through it. They first ask a few questions and go from there. Some have to deal with it others did not. Oh and no driver facing cameras. Their OC's (for the most part) are decent places- Gary Indiana location needs a lot of help on the land condition. The trucks....older ones (2017 is oldest I saw) are in decent shape. They do have newer ones coming in but as you can imagine it goes down the line of veteran drivers down to the newest as far getting assigned one. Also depends on your safety record for where you are in line. I have gone from a 17 to a 19 in 4 months. Possibility for another step up if things pan out. Can you make money- yes. Are you going to get top dollar- nope. AS us new drivers start at bottom. They do have bonus cpm in there that you can boost yours with if you keep things on the up and up. From the whispering winds and words that ride on them best I can tell as long as you don't drop a trailer, be the cause of an accident, and typical illegal stuff they can be lenient should small incidents happen.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Lonesome and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Lol hunting down empties. You reminded me of something I had blocked out of my memory, apparently. Lol so frustrating.

91B20H8 and Munch75 Thank this.
  8. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    I had one 3rd party wholesale yard I was 0 for 2 in finding an empty, they either had been picked up shortly before I got there or completely blocked by other trailers. . The 3rd party places can be the worst. Thankfully the dedicated I am on, especially since it's refer- no more empty hunts.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    @Frank Speak ? He's kind of an "independent contractor" so to speak. Checks out the Bluegrass state on a regular basis. Doesn't make the coin or benefits you do, but then, no one does.

LtlAnonymous and Frank Speak Thank this.
  10. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I’ve been doing this long enough to know that your statement simply means you can’t pass a physical.

Trucker61016 and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I pass all my physicals as well as a sleep study that I show zero symptoms of, except I have an 18” neck.
    I am also 6’3 with big shoulders and a huge head.
    Perhaps a new profession would be in order for you at this point.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.