How is oilfield trucking different than regular OTR trucking?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Dec 8, 2021.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I thought it was an unwritten rule that you don't pass on a lease road - and that empty trucks yield to loaded trucks when approaching a cattleguard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckaholic28

truckaholic28 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Miami, Florida
    Wow, and you are supposed to be the rookie, that tells me that having common sense goes a long way!.

Bret1984 Thanks this.
  4. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Stocks have been good recently. Between stocks and crypto I've done quite well also but the bull market isn't going to last long term. However you don't lose until you sell and a bear market is a good time to buy when everything is on sale.

supergreatguy and austinmike Thank this.
  5. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    $XRP To the moon!

Bret1984 Thanks this.
  6. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    you’re right! We need a bear market. I short and play put options when things are high like this

Bret1984 and LameMule Thank this.
  7. SwervinMervin

SwervinMervin Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2021
    West Chester, PA
    Lots of unwritten rules aren't followed by the dunderheads. I don't miss oil field work. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Funny, that's how I feel about OTR. I like oilfield a lot better.

snowman1980 and RockinChair Thank this.
  9. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    In west Texas where I'm at it seems like most companies are hiring for night shift. My company doesn't have shifts but it's pretty hard to avoid night driving especially in these months where the nights are longer. So if you're like me and get up super early then it's dark doing your first load and dark again when you do your last load of the day.

10. Bret1984

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    My first oilfield job was in North Texas in the Barnett shale basin hauling Salt water to disposal for $25 an hour. I got lost a bunch trying to find those tanks lol I don't know if it's still around or if something better has been created since then but the well finder app helped a lot although it would sometimes take you to the well head instead of the tank battery. Now I do frac sand out west. You can see that frac site from pretty far off in the desert especially at night because it's all lit up. Just see glowing lights out in the desert. Either that's my delivery location or a spaceship is landing. Either way I'm going to go check it out. Lol

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.