How Long Can I Go On Stinking Batteries?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scottied67, Jul 4, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If one is sick and stinking, just eat the money and put all 4 new batteries in the pack and be done with it. Before the other three gets close to doing the same thing to you. One month at a time. Death by a thousand cuts.

Ive been yelled at constantly for being very expensive as a company driver. They ask how many batteries you want, I say all 4 new ones please.

What? No no no... you listen.

No YOU LISTEN and I tell you why (Talking to shop boss) you replace one now. I'll be back in a couple days or a couple weeks wanting another one gone bad. Then another then another you follow me?

Throw 4 new ones on there and I'll be out of your hair the rest of the year about those #### things one time and done. Or would you rather just have someone run them 2000 miles to me overnight really fast when the other old ones quit under a every expensive load that cannot be delayed? You got a thousand batteries out there in that lot, half of them new because the trucks are new. Multimillion dollars in assets. And you are resisting 4 stinking 140 dollar each batteries. Give me a break you tight fisted tight wad. No wonder we have trouble when the trucks actually go down for the same problem again and again and again. Toss em on there and be done with it. Have a drink at home or get laid or something. Get it out of your system.

Just this year we had our battery not even 3 years old go bad. It failed to perform under a simple radio with engine off waiting for me at a doctors like it always did. Then it refused to generate enough of anything to crank a week later, not enough power. It's dying in front of us. We jumped it and then told her we must drop a good new one in there now. Before you really incur a expensive tow call. Spend a dime now save a dollar later.

I keep an eye on all of my batteries, I'll cluck over them, nurse them and love on them, but when one gets sick and they are the same batch when put in new at the same time, Might as well get all of them replaced before others begin to get sick. Just like a family. One gets the flu then the next then the children and so on. on and on.

Now gases related to batteries can kill or hurt bad. Chemical burns would be what I remember from the old wet cells where you had to pop the lids on them things every few months and add fluid to them. (Carefully and with a face shield and long cotton clothing so that if you did have poly or similar, it wont melt into your wounds) This would be back in the 70's Those lessons from Pa taking care of his batteries at home in those days stayed with me a life time.

And having a set of 4 good batteries is a form of insurance when something does go out like the alternator. You can reasonably bet 4 hours against the ranch that you will make a particular shop in time to replace alt before your batteries drain too much.

If you only replaced one sick battery and the alt goes out later and running on three iffy batteries? The situation is not that good. Chances are I'll be drawing a set of 's instead of high cards at the table in poker. I don't like that.

Sure they cost money new. Throw all 4 on there and be done with it. Otherwise it's like a needy family member or moocher friend you simply cannot keep off your porch when he or she comes back begging again for the same problem you thought solved a week ago.

tucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Had one go bad while I was asleep. Thought it was the truck next to me or something. Realized what it was when I got up 30 mins later.

Battery was a little swollen but VERY hot and blowing vapor on the battery next to it.

I wasn't happy replacing all four when only one was bad. But I did it.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    New tires and batteries are the basics of life in this business.

Much like a good new mattress and quality new shoes are.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really, you need to deliver it instead of being stuck in a truck stop for three more hours because you had a battery explode??

Get it done asap.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    it would be of help you would post a link to a battery that would FIT AND WORK in a semi truck...

8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Thanks @flood. I ran it through their online web portal based on a 2017 12.8l Cascadia and that was the part number and item that they gave from my query. Your results may vary.

EDIT: I ran it again based on your post and you are correct it isn’t a part that fits. I blame the North Koreans. They obviously hacked that site just to make me look stupid. Thanks for the correction Flood.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Reason for edit: I gave wrong info
  9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can go until they are dead!

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    problem is the truck use group 31 and your query came back for a group 65

11. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Thank you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.