How long did you stay at starter company as a driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KeepONTruckin214, Nov 10, 2018.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This thread has given Western Express the most positive feedback I've seen on here. Those new Volvos in an aforementioned post are hella nice!!! I saw a Western Express with one in Knoxville last week. I've noticed how they've seemed to change somewhat from when I was there. They were pretty outlaw when I worked there. HOS meant nothing. I think it's a good starting spot for a new driver, they'll definitely be patient with rookies. As much freight and long haulshas they have, I find it impossible for a driver to not make decent money there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Exactly. Like I said I had reservations before visiting them. Patrick and Daniel in orientation in Bloomington have zero BS in them. That’s what I was looking for. I’m a newer driver so just tell what’s up and let me learn.

Side note...
    I find it slightly odd that all of the big carriers are reviled. I know a lot of it is with merit. I noticed we get these new members typing in all caps screaming about how this carrier or that carrier screwed them. I’ve actually gone the other way in my thinking. I now think that those people might be the problem in many cases, not the carrier. I could be wrong.

There’s a lot of guys who spend a lot of years at a mega and make good money.

I’ve looked a little bit at other carriers. I’m still too green. I’m sticking with the devil I know till I get my year. If you want to laugh go back and look at some of my first posts. I’m a moron LOL. Same questions, with experienced drivers trying to talk me off a cliff, but I was high on hope and wanted to fly. I’ll get my own truck soon enough, and when I do I’ll know what questions to ask.

Lepton1 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You have the right attitude about trucking. I will get that you will do well in this industry. Its a lot of people who have no business being in trucking. All companies have the same objective: pick download, deliver it. The ones proven most reliable will make it. Ive worked for me gas and I've worked for mom and pops. I can say I've never had an overall bad experience. I only left for more money.

Lepton1 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  5. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I'm approaching my second full year with Prime. They've been great to me. I'm on pace to take home a hair under $60k this year as a company driver. Just wish I was home more.

Truckermania and otterinthewater Thank this.
  6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    My understanding is that between years 3-5 drivers have the prerequisite experience to live like a normal human 70% of the time. I could be wrong.

7. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Depends on your definition of normal human I suppose. IMO I wasn't or didn't become normal until I got a "home daily" gig. Living in a metal box is just not my idea of normal.

Dan.S and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  8. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Stayed with US XPRESS for three months before doing tanker for two years. Now I'm in LTL which I've been doing for over 12 years

Fuelinmyveins and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Swivvel

Swivvel Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2018
    This is one of the ones u sent me China if FL?

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, that's one of them.

Swivvel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.