How long do you keep your logbooks?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BigJDub, Jun 11, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you plan on taking the IRS daily per diem deduction you may need your logs to prove that you were out of town. I have log books that go back at least 10-20 years. The IRS can audit you and unless you can document being out of town, you could pay more taxes. They can to back for 7 years and if they find something can go back an additional 6 years, as I recall. Your logs are also a means of proving you worked in this industry should your carrier go out of business. It might help you find another job.

BigJohn54 and diesel_weasel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    I keep mine 6 months thats it. Where are you guys finding these years for irs audits i have had one and was told only need 5 years worth of documents by the irs so thats all i keep.

4. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I trained at H & R block in the 80's. Unless it has changed, the usual audit period is the 3 years prior but they can go back 7 years if they want. I still prepare my own and family members taxes. One thing to keep in mind, last I knew, they were 2 years behind on audits. I keep all my stuff for 20 years. I would recommend at least 9 -10 years minimum. I don't see how you could survive an audit without at least 5 years of records. If you can't prove you were on the road, the Per Diem deduction will not be allowed. You will need logbooks, computer records or company records to prove this. I would never allow my fate to be in the hands of a company or computer records.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    The IRS can only audit back 3 years, with one exception, that being fraud, then they can go back 7 years.

double yellow Thanks this.
  6. BigJDub

BigJDub Light Load Member

May 26, 2011
    Crescent City, Ca
    Thanks for the advice. I guess it would be in my best interest to keep them. I was going to hold on to at least the current year for taxes but I didn't think about auditing. Might as well keep them all I guess.

Also the comment about the company going out of business and needing to prove employment was an interesting thought as well. DOT background goes back 10 years so I need to at least keep that many.

Thanks for the great advice.

7. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    What are Log Books?

Just kidding

Lee76 Thanks this.
  8. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    there "can be" another reason for keeping them, and that is for proof of miles driven over time. if an employer of yours goes belly up, and you need proof of your driving, then at least you got'em...then too, YOU can keep track of your miles, and when you hit 1 million you got proof you did it.

i kept mine for nearly 10 years, then i chucked them. in retrospect, i wished i still had them.

9. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    "Generally" does not mean "absolutely". Tax advice should come from a competent professional or reading of the tax act.

BigJohn54 and Roadmedic Thank this.
  10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    3 years for me to prove road time.......

11. Lee76

Lee76 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Delaware
    I'll just say, use your own judgement. Me? after use to file taxes, it's shredderville. I have an uncle, that went by the book to the "T", kept every book he ever made an entry. The DOT came to audit him personally, and he's never been more then a company driver. When all was said and done, he had to sell the house he and my aunt just paid off the year before, due to $30,000 dollars of log fines they compiled on him, some from books decades old. The excuse the auditors gave my uncle in court was this. "If you have it laying around, and available to view, it's fair game, sorry about your luck."

So, I'll say again. Use your own judgement.
    Good luck.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.