How long do you warm up your rig before driving.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by LoneRanger, Mar 14, 2019.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Depends on the temp, at the minimum 5 to 10 minutes, long enough to determine any odd sounds or smells, thump the tires and check lights. In the winter, at least 15 to 20 minutes, at the minimum I want engine temp over 100 deg., as well, with an automatic, I want trans temp to be above 45 deg.. Bosses have really been riding hard on my coworkers to give it only long enough to build full air and then away they go. We had two weeks of sub zero overnight temps, a few of the trucks were barely moving.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Your truck will high idle on its own until it's ready to go. My Cummins will high idle at about 850 for a few minutes on a cold morning and then drop down to 600-ish once the cylinders are warm and the oil is circulating properly. I'll usually wait for that or until the air is at 120, whichever happens later, before taking off. If your engine is running properly, you'll see the temp gauge on a steady climb by the time you make the turn onto the on ramp.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Onemanshow

Onemanshow Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    richmond hill on
    Sounds like most of guys here living in warm climates. If u start driving after air reaches 120 here in Canada your transmission won't flip to high side. That's the reason for turbo failure from not warm in up and cooling it down . even manual says u have to idle at 1000rpm for 10m till oil cools down
    The warmer its outside the more damage accures by shutting off engine right away after a long run.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Brettj3876, jamespmack and adayrider Thank this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    If it's warm enough to shut the truck off, it's warm enough to leave as soon as pressure has built.

Remember, everything will warm up faster if you drive easy than if you idle for 10 minutes or so.

6. Onemanshow

Jan 29, 2016
    richmond hill on
    Wanna see how easy you start to drive grossed out. Do what you feel is best for you. I'm just gonna stick to getting engine to warm up to normal operational temperature. Hasn't failed any of my trucks since year 2000

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    First, I hope that my comments don't give the mistaken impression that I get after it as soon as I release the brake. I keep the rpm under 1,000 and ease out of the truckstop. That 5 minutes of easy driving warms everything up a little. Engine, more than it would sitting there. Trans, more than it does sitting there. Rear ends and hubs? They don't warm at all sitting there.

I belonged to the school of warm up an engine forever before driving. If it's cold cold, then it's probably running anyway, but mid 20s up, it's worked for me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. Onemanshow

Jan 29, 2016
    richmond hill on
    SLike I said warm climate with huge truck stops tondrive around for 5 min. Here in canada they don't spoil us much. Many parking along the highways on shoulder/ on of ramps. Have a good day driver. Its warm morning here in Jersey. My espar barely works

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    20 min minimum for my n14 and c16,c15,3406b, and big cam before that. 45-50 min if it's below freezing. I back out or pull out my driveway everyday so no parking lot. Uphill both ways leaving, not big hill but still up and not down. I like it to be warm inside cause I don't like driving with a coat on.

I don't shut it off till pyro reads nothing which is 300 deg or less

jamespmack Thanks this.
  10. Sani101

Sani101 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2018
    My 06 isx start the truck build 120 psi of air and good to go.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. chuckwaggon

chuckwaggon Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2019
    i start it let it idle 10 min

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.