How long does a truck have to idle?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Oso, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Theres no reason to idle for any minutes at all. If you know your going to be stopping and shutting it down just keep your foot out of the injectors for the last mile. Watch your pyro it will show you that your exhaust temp is so by backing out a little.

Part of this idle bs came from "back in the day" air starters were popular, keeping your air up was very much a big deal. But now its not just temp its also part of this "Your not going to tell me what to do, crap" that drivers think makes them a tough guy.

If its Hot or Cold I understand but theres alot that idle even when the weather is purfict.... (spelled like moterocycle).. It's not tough it's just stupid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I'd love to see the mathematical equation!

4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    In order for it to be a good business expense a item has to recop its cost of purchase, operation and maintenance in less than 5 years. APU's in general do not. If you really want to figure it you that would be a individual thing as there are people here that spend a lot more time sitting than others.

In our case were a bulk hauler, so the 1000 to 1500 lbs comes out of the profit on every load.

5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I haven't seen an APU over 500 lbs. Is there a specific specification you require that you would have such a behemoth Powder Joints?

6. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
  7. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    I am 62 years old, been trucking (and idling when necessary) since 1986, and not dead yet from "evil diesel fumes". Anti-idling rules are generally stupid, most drivers will not idle unnecessarily, although there are a few.

Do people realize that one begins to die the minute you are born? Anti-idling regs are generally, IMHO, pushed by the same tree huggers that would be up in arms if they couldn't get the latest "organic" foods at their local grocery, or the latest fashions at the local mall.

How do you think those products get to you, teleportation?

puncher Thanks this.
  8. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB

I can't find any mention of this anywhere. Can you provide a link for me, please? I go there most weeks, and want to know about this.

9. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Powder Joints I like to know where you get your info because its bogus. A typical diesel fueled APU weighs 400 lbs. Burns about a gallon during a 10 hour break. Pays for itself in about a year based on the current fuel prices. Maintaince on APU's is real simple. Every 1000 hours or so change the oil,oil filter, and belts. The APU also reduces wear and tear on the truck engine due to inframes and rebuilds farther apart.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  10. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    Sorry, no, don't have a link. Heard about it on OOIDA's Sirius radio show.

11. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Tracyq144, you must park # different facilities and deal with different "steering wheel holders" than I do because I see things the exact opposite way.

Stupid truck drivers are FOREVER abandoning their ilding trucks for hours on end instead of turning the key off! Idling trucks is accepted by the vast majority of the "meat in the seat" type of driver as they just don't give a fark!

Carriers have a responsability to purchase some idle reduction technology but the drivers also have a responsability to try to reduce their idling and I am yet to see much of that, especially when the ambient temperature is 65 degrees!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.