How long does a truck have to idle?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Oso, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Well as I always say, would you hire a carpenter who randomly burned wood? Would you hire an accountant who burned files?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    What???

We have an APU, we bought ours used. But let me tell you, its nice to have. We save usually a quarter of a tank not idling. Like others have said, it only burns 1 to 1 1/2 gal of diesel for 10 hours.

Plus they make living in the truck a lot easier, providing shore power for a fridge, microwave, TV and more. You can also charge the batteries on the truck with it, keep the motor warm by plugging the block heater into a special plug that is designed for this.

The advantages of the APU are neumeros, and for someone that is living in a truck, its definitely a nice option.

Anyone complaining about an APU running, needs to live a couple weeks in a truck, in the hot humid south, and set for a few hours in a black truck. Then lets see if they have anything against them. :biggrin_25525:

Captain Canuck Thanks this.
  4. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn

i drive a cemeny mixer and the company makes us turn off the trucks when we get back to the yard , if all we have is wash water in the drum. any leftovers are dumped and fins rinsed and then shut the truck off when you go into the office. we have no air conditioning in our mixers so its hot all summer

5. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    Oso,

Idling a truck is never necessary in order for it to function as a delivery unit. Most fleets here in Canada have anti idlers installed. They usually shut down after 5 minutes. In a typical day where a peddle driver makes 20 stops there is no reason he/she should need to keep the truck running at any of those stops whether it is a 10 minute stop or a 1 hour stop.

However if there truck is idling to keep the cab at a tolerable temperature for sleeping and living, then idling may be the best option. If this is what you are concerned about, where do you think your electricity comes from? Coal fired generator maybe.

If you think that you are going to change the word by getting some trucker to shut his truck off in order for him to sleep in relative comfort guess again. Why not focus on those fat lazy ash people who idle their giant SUV's in some coffee shop drive through for 20 minutes just for a single cup of joe.

Injun Thanks this.
  6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Mr. EOTR: I believe we have (drum roll buildup......wait for it.......wait for it....) AGREEMENT!!!!!!:biggrin_25514:

(Shhhh.....don't tell the others....I'd hate to ruin my reputation...):biggrin_255:

GuysLady Thanks this.
  7. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    I won't tell if you won't!

8. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    We don't have a.c. in ours either and it sucks I know. We stay busy most the day so we are only at the plant to get loaded and head back out, if not then we'll wash out and shut it off. An obviously you can't shut the mixer off when you're at a job site because the motor needs to run for the hydraulics to work.

9. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    It's an analogy - no other industry would tolerate such a waste of resources. And I'm not anti-APU. I'm just not too impressed with people who leave their vehicles running while they take a coffee or lunch break, visit the other end of the jobsite, etc, etc.

10. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I drive a day cab,so I 'm not discussing comfort while not in the driver's seat. When I'm not driving,I'm unloading,so I never idle.I've seen a few articles about the harm in idling for long periods of time.Acid builds up from the break down of oil and cuts down on the life of the engine.
    I don't know anything about APU's but driver comfort is very important.Getting a good night sleep in a comfortable setting is a safety issue in my book.

11. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    "Randomly"? LMAO! You try to sleep when you are in the truck and it is 112 outside! Then come back here and discuss idling and APUs..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.