How long would you go without AC

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, May 25, 2020.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Depends on the temp. I might go as long as two or three days. But if it’s hot out the only place I’m going is to the repair shop. If they don’t like that then we can part ways.

I’ve got the endorsements and experience to have a new job before my Uber shows up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I was heading west on I-10 last year to LA. Outside of San Antonio my A/C completely died. I was trying to man up...until the ambient air temp hit 115* and the sun was hitting me in the chest. Who knows how hot it was in the truck but I started to get woozy, even after dropping ice cubes down my shirt. I called dispatch and asked politely for a room. Next day I asked to stop at a dealer. Company said load was too important so they rescued it and brought me back home. I'll take whatever mother nature dishes until the body starts to shut down and I can no longer drive safely.

4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Theres a rumor that she had a death in the family. It's unconfirmed and frankly I dont have the social skills to approach that.

I think she gets it. Shes definitely not dumb, honestly. Which is why I came here to get some feedback because the sudden change of tone threw me off. Usually I get where shes coming from.

But this time I dont. It's HOT outside. And its even hotter in the sleeper. I'm in the sand dunes of desert. If I was behind the desk I would have already said, find a room somewhere then get it fixed tomorrow.

The older Freightliners worked fine. And I'm not the only person to have a problem with the new 2020. Maybe new trucks are just that way and you need to break them in, I don't know.

But I do know what its like to sleep in a truck when its 100 outside and your AC isnt working. Even with the windows open wearing only shorts, the mattress is hot, you wake up a lot and unpleasant dreams.

I am like @tscottme I like it cold and sleeping under a blanket.

Its a great-paying job and the market is uncertain. It's hard to just bail.

They make me watch tons of stupid videos about getting proper rest then it's just weird they want to make it hard to do that. I've been sleeping all my life, I know how to do it.

I might sleep under my trailer like @Cattleman84 but at a truckstop I would be too afraid of getting flooded with piss. Lol!

Recently my partner stopped at a TS. I woke up and looked outside to see where I was at. i saw a trucker standing on his top step, holding up his big gut with one hand and pissing right on the pavement next to my window. Unfortunately I saw everything. Great way to wake up. Even worse if I was under the trailer.

TokyoJoe, BigDog Trucker and Shawn2130 Thank this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I would refuse to work until the AC is fixed. I would refuse to sleep in a truck that doesn’t have air-conditioning in Texas heat of 100°. You might not wake up at all and I’m dead serious. You said you measure the temperature at 147°. That’s enough to cook your brain slowly. That’s enough to kill you. You can bake bread and have it rise at 140°.

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Should be under warranty, try a TA, they are Freightliner warranty center and open 24/7

Bean Jr. and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I have 2 of those 14" 12 volt fans they have at the truck stop, and I picked up window screens. They help a LOT.

I'm not saying they're good for making 110°F tolerable, but it's amazing how much fans help, when it's hot.

This is obviously not much help for when driving, either.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Really!? Omg thats great. I call breakdown and they tell me only a Freightliner can fix it.

I think those techs are just charging the AC and telling me its good so they dont have to replace the unit. A way to pawn the real work off on someone else. Hourly workers do that.

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’m a little overweight and don’t do well in the heat so even when I was a company driver no a/c was an out of service for me. Now with my own truck I don’t hesitate to get somewhere if it acts up.

D.Tibbitt, buddyd157, dunchues and 2 others Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I could have been getting this hopefully fixed tonight, which would have been easier. But now I sit in a Memorial Day priced motel, $100.

And I know already I am going to hear protests tomorrow when I send in my motel reciept. "You couldn't find anything cheaper?"

It's a Days Inn. Tiny little pool thats probably half pee... A tint of green.

BigDog Trucker, bzinger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I live on the coast in NorCal and don't have AC in our house because it rarely gets over 80 here, but today was one of those rare days when it hit 95. Kept everything closed up and now it's 75 out with a nice breeze. If my truck AC went out in hot weather, I wouldn't move, or sleep in the reefer.

Speed_Drums, bzinger and TravR1 Thank this.
  12. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Back in the Oldin Days the Real Truck drivers sat directly on the diesel so the could hear and feel every little intricate deviation from normal.

AC was the electrical power in your house in those days.

Real Men would sleep on a 2x6 stretched between the seats and were happy they at least had that .

On those boiling days and nights they were just thankful they were in a truck and not in a jungle getting rained on and eaten by mosquitoes while the threat of being bombed or shot at was always in the backs of their minds .

Remember our Fallen Heroes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.