How many can read a map?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I was on a road trip with a friend a while back, he's a technology geek. Has all the latest gadgets, a Tesla model 3, latest I-Phone, stuff like that.

We were heading north on I-81 and there was an accident ahead. Road was closed. His GPS routed him up Route 11, which is what everyone else was doing, and it was a parking lot.

Knowing the area well, I suggested another route. His GPS is screaming at him the whole time. He's in full blown panic mode at this point. After we got back on 81, he calmed down and asked "How in the hell do you know this stuff, you don't even have GPS?" I told him I never had one, don't need it. He asks what I do in unfamiliar areas. I tell him I use an atlas and Google maps.

"You DO realize we are in the 21st century, right?" he says.

"Yep, and the paper atlas always works if Russia attacks our satellites". Call me a conspiracy nut I guess, but it works for me

homeskillet, 201, feldsforever and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Thats good but unfortunately my Wife has fought over my collection of maps throughout North American. She believes in modern technology such as GPS and Google Maps however I was able to hide one of my older Rand McNally map books that she couldn't find as a backup. :)

Attached Files:

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I never thought of this. Thanks for sharing. I'm all about using all the tools at my disposal. There's another benefit of using these. If you get pulled over in some town and show an officer you were using the map posted on the city's own website or whatever he's more inclined to give you a break.

On the other hand, if you use the same old 'I was just following my GPS' he is NOT going to be very interested in giving you a break.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    You can go in to any Goodwill or used bookstore and they will have old maps for ten or 25 cents.
    The wife knows one of my idiosyncrasies is maps and even today will grab any I see.
    Touring on our motorcycles 10 to 15 states at a time I only use paper maps, but I tend to stay off the interstates. A few years ago we did a backroad tour from the start of the Mississippi river to the gulf and even US highways, ala 61 were not used. The best of times.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've been at it 12 years now, and I've never bought a GPS. The atlas tells you everything you need to know, that way you won't end up on non truck routes, and you'll avoid hitting low bridges. I had to buy a new atlas recently, my old one had been beat to hell and pages were falling out lol

7. Coal Region Deplorable

Coal Region Deplorable Light Load Member

I started driving over 40 years ago, back then everything was maps, but I got to tell you I love my GPS. Although when I get the feeling my GPS may be sending me into a bad situation, I break out the maps. I use a lot of Google Earth and Google Street view too.

Banker, 86scotty, feldsforever and 3 others Thank this.
  8. RoadWarriorBoy

RoadWarriorBoy Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2021
    We used "omnitracks" maps at ct england (quitting due to no respect even thoigh I've been solo for over a month now) my grandpa reciently left me money so I'm getting a peterbilt and a GARMIN

feldsforever and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Suggest you buy a motor carrier atlas as well

10. Coal Region Deplorable

Coal Region Deplorable Light Load Member

Yeah I think my favorite part of the GPS is four areas with missing, bent are somehow messed up street signs, and it gives me a heads up on exit ramps so nothing takes me by surprise, I can be slowing down and in the correct Lane, no last-minute thought of was I supposed to take a or b, and having to look down at my notes in busy traffic

feldsforever and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think the term applies more to basic knowledge. Things like mile marker numbers running up, going north,and East, down going south and west. Interstates East and west being even numbered, North and south odd numbered. Interstate spurs being Odd numbered while bypasses and loops being even numbered. Finding addresses also, usually heading north or south, west side of street addresses end in an odd #, while east side is even. Heading east and west, North side ends in odd #s south side even. All helpful things to know, especially before GPS.I peddled Freight in Detroit. We have mile roads running East and west. Starting around 5 mile road, up to 8 mile, at the border Suburbs run up to 35+ mile roads. Heading north, numbers go up. Any address can be found by taking the address and minus 5 and then deciding by 2. For example 25000 block is 10 mile. East and west streets start at 0 and run up to roughly 20000, at the borders. Knowing key numbers as a rule of thumb really helped a lot. I’m often asked how we ever found anything? You can go to almost any town in America, and staring in he center, pick up an address. If the street has e.w.s.n.as a prefix, that’s why. And when all else fails,in the middle of the night, you can always ask a Cop, for directions.I’ve walked into more than one Police Station for directions. Ahh the good old days...NOT!!! A quick look at a Truckers Atlas in the Keys section, explains the many symbols and what they mean. Along with a brief history on Deregulation, weight limits, Bridge Laws in every State. And phone #s addresses to each States Licensing Agencies. I’m keeping my Atlas, though it’s 20 yrs old. Lot of new roads now, that aren’t on it. It’s a good tool to have, still. I don’t have a Truckers GPS. Though I could use one right now. Trying to figure out what’s the best way to Spencer W.Va. I-79 to 119 and up, or I-77 to 33 and over. Some things still can only be answered by an experienced Operator. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.