How many dead/zombie trailers and vans are out there?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TexasKGB, Nov 5, 2019.

1. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I had seen a trailer of one of these companies that filed for bankruptcy sitting at some small truck stop in no where usa , I wondered how long I could work it until I got in trouble lol

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    There are likely thousands of missing trailers dropped here and there across the country. Many have GPS transponders and when the batteries die they can't track em anymore. I've been on recovery missions a few times.

When you think about the price of a trailer you realize just how much money trucking companies have. Sure, lots of them were lost after bankrupcy but I bet every mega carrier has a huge number they 'accept' as being lost every year. I bet it's hundreds of em.

If this stuff seems strange don't look hard at maritime shipping. They go out of business and abandon ships and freighters too or just let them drift off to sea. There are several empty ships found every year all over the world just floating around. I read about this somewhere. I don't know why but it really spooks me.

bentstrider83 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I watched a special once that covered the dismantling of a ship for salvage, just the price of being epa compliant to dismantle one, plus the red tape involved, makes it much easier for them to decide to just abandon one.
    It is also the reason the govt has ship grave yards, they have to do a lot of the same stuff before they can even put a retired ship in the graveyards, though.

FlaSwampRat and 86scotty Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We lease out part of our yard to some of the megas for trailer storage, repowers, and we'll do some positioning if we have time.
    If a trailer sits more than 30 days we call it in and I can't count how many times the trailer was one that was lost in the system.
    We've also had people at the megas argue with us and tell us that the trailer couldn't possibly be there even though I could look right at it. When that happened, and it happened with an amazing frequency we'd send them a picture of the trailer and a short note saying that the storage price just went up due to the aggravation factor.
    When Arrow went under we were stuck with three of their flatbeds. We had to file a Notice of Abandonment, wait for 30 days, and then we disposed of them. Two of them went to the scrap yard and one was used for a bridge up in the woods. They were junk..

FlaSwampRat, 86scotty and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
  7. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Welfare Express?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    India is the best place to scrap a ship. They do it for cheap because no pesky OSHA or EPO to deal with.
    The workers wear flip-flops and use cutting torches without wearing goggles. It the workers get injured, the scrap companies simply fire them and kick them off the property.
    Bangladesh is as dangerous as India.
    Turkey isn't much better with their ship scrap yards.
    India, they put ballast in the rear of the ship to get the bow high then go full speed and run it aground on the beach, then the scrap yard workers go at it with cutting torches.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
  10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    We had one, an old 40 foot van abandoned in the back row of the lot, no plates.

Went to NJ MVC back when they had an 'agent's window and found out we could title it as home made and get a trailer plate. They issued a serial number that we were supposed to stamp on it...filled it with stuff and took it to a customer's bar and left it...wonder if it is still there?

Upinsmoke and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.