How many HOURS of sleep do you need?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Cybergal, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

7 to 9 for me. I can run a couple days on 6 or 7 but then I need a couple 9s to catch back up. When I was a teenager and in my 20s I could sleep hours and hours and hours. But I noticed that starting to slow down after about 27.

My best days are in bed by 9:30pm on the road at 6 am with a 15 min power nap at noon. It really chaps my wife when she is with me and feeling sleepy because I can lay down fall asleep and take my nap and be back up feeling fine and she hasn't even fallen asleep yet. Then once the truck starts rocking she can't fall asleep.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    I try to get about 6 hours a night but, sometimes wake up after 4 1/2 or 5 and can't go back to sleep.
    On weekends have no trouble sleeping about 6 to 7 hours which is wierd . I guess I know I don't have a schedule to keep on the weekends!

4. shandera

shandera Enchantress of the Mystical

Sep 18, 2007
    California
    Sleep......hummmmm I dunno.....

When I finally get some I'll let ya know.

5. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO
    I have to have 7-8 but don't always get it. Don't function at all on only 5 hours lol

6. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    I seem to run best at 6-7 hrs., sometimes I can go days on only 4 or so. But that usually was when I was really busy at work and never really stopped during the day, with driving I wouldn't count on that. I have also noticed that I need less during the week or when I have a schedule. Maybe I can't subconciously "let go" enough to get more? Also seems to be less required as I get older.

7. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Somewhere in TX
    I can "get by" with 5 hours of sleep. But I will sleep 12-14 if allowed to. I know it seems unreal, but strangely my father has the same problem with sleeping too much also. Guess it is hereditary (sp?). Then again, we both worked rotating shifts for most of our lives. Maybe that has something to do with it.

8. slickbackdriver

slickbackdriver Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Denver,CO
    Does anyone know what and if there's a law that states how much sleep/rest time we are supposed to get?

9. Heirforce1

Heirforce1 Medium Load Member

May 16, 2011
    The Windy City
    Best way to go is to get the straight 10 either in off duty or sleeper. Don't think about splitting hrs between driving and sleeping unless you have a good handle on that logbook. Good luck and drive safe!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.