How many miles do you put on your steers?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Pmracing, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I replaced mine at 180,000 - would have gotten more except for a botched alignment earlier this year. Got that taken care of too...

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I run mine for about a year (around 100-120,000 miles) then throw a new set one and rotate the old ones back to the trailer when I need a tire back there. I know many guys don't have this option, but I find it works best for my operation considering the beatings my tires take running the northeast every week and the kind of time sensitive route I have. Here lately I have been seeing a rash of blown steer tires by other trucks on the road. Often I wonder if this from guys running them way to long and underinflation issues. Personally I won't take the chance of blown steer even with running Centramatics and knowing the history of the tire. I find it cheaper to replace every year.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I currently have 139,000 miles on my b.f. st244 steers. going to replace soon. maybe 25,000 miles or so.

5. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Kind of thinking every three months or so they will last 8% longer, as that seems to be the average interval & percentage for price increases. ;)

6. ohio_redneck75

ohio_redneck75 Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    coshocton,ohio
    as long as i can lol.....sry could not help myself...

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have that exact same problem with heavier loads I'm always about 12,300 on the steers and think my next set will be G load rated.. I run centramatics, have them balanced on install.. They start wearing funny at about 50,000 miles with some big dips at odd places on the outside and inside shoulders. I had them rebalanced again at 75K miles but they are still doing it and the shaking is pretty bad at 43-47mph.. So far 101K miles on this set and I'm looking to replace them in the next 10 or 15K miles. the sad part is, that they still have 9/32's but the dips are ruining them.... the last set I had went 120K.. both sets are/were yoko 617's.. Really dissappointed I'm thinking I should at least be able to get 150K minimum, maybe G load tires will do the trick..

icsheeple and nofilter Thank this.
  8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Might need your wheel bearings looked at...

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. PurplePete

PurplePete Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Tyler, Mn
    Mine were wearing badly at 100k, so I brought the truck in and had them check the kingpins and bearings. One bearing was badly worn, the other was loose. Every thing was fixed before the new steers went on.

nofilter Thanks this.
  10. JDP

JDP Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    Looking through my maintenance records on my fleet. The Goodyear LHS had the highest average mileage across long-haul specialized and van trucks at 168,875 miles. It's surprising you've had that much trouble with the Yoko 617, we run that steer on every truck in the fleet when they wear out the original set. The 617 is the best bang for the buck and lowest rolling resistance of any steer that I'm aware of. Our average mileage out of a set of 617s is 151,846.

Regardless, before you put a new set on, spend the money and align the whole truck versus only the steer axle, as torque steer is the usual problem. Additionally, a new set of steers will be ruined by running them as little as 50 miles when the truck is out of alignment, loose wheel bearing, or kingpin issues. Once the irregular wear pattern starts, it's impossible to stop.

nofilter Thanks this.
  11. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I think it would be a waste of money to align the whole truck just because putting a set of steer tires on unless you think you have a problem. Cupping is not caused from miss alignment but from to much weight or lack of air pressure. Not sure what all bad wheel bearings would cause but can't imagine not spotting that problem before it causes any tire wear. And I did recently replace my wheel bearings.
    I'm afraid the load range G tires will cut fuel economy just a little from more rolling resistance.

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.