How many miles will the newer emission equipped engines go?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by carln, Apr 7, 2021.

how many miles on your 5 yr old or less engine

1. 300,000

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 500,000

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 700,000

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 900,000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. carln

carln Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I was hearing on a cummins forum, pickup truck ram, that the emission controls on the newer, last 5ish years, was cutting the life on trucks. In the ole days the class 8 engine would go 1 plus million miles on the original engine for the most part..

its said the soot and carbon is forced back into the cylinders builds up, saturates the oil and acts like very fine sandpaper wearing down components a lot faster. Stuff smaller than the oil filter can remove in many cases.

Now they are only good for like 5-600,000 miles before they need rebuilding..

let me know what you are seeing and hearing ,, is this true or just myth..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    The newer trucks I’ve driven tend to go about 350-450 before something really expensive breaks. But they’re usually still under warranty.

4. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    ive seen several 2012+ macks (mp7) go 1 million+ miles. some required a lot of attention to the dpf systems and some didn't need much of anything. i had a good one that was rarely out of service up to 900k when i got a new one.

5. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Ya, basically the trend is to keep All the Pollution contained inside of the engine...instead of the atmosphere. I know on Volvo tractors..so much emissions crap..mechanics had to take egrs,eggs, etc. OFF after 80k to 100k. and clean the entire sob out.Cant voucher for the Rams, but more than likely , that stuff theretelling you is True.Jmo

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

EGR is the single worst idea to have ever been introduced on diesel engines, especially without centrifuges and other means of filtering the engine oil beyond what a typical bypass filter can do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted