How many years untill humans are replaced by driverless trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Oct 3, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    does anyone sleep, inn, on a holiday..???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    And when that truck hits a road closure from and accident with a detour that just happened five minutes ago, what will it do? When it hits an icy road requiring chains, what will it do? When an idiot 4 wheeler cuts in front of it and hits the brakes, what will it do? That last one may seem obvious, but I've had to swerve immediately when something like that happened, would the computer be able to act fast enough?

I have a feeling purely automatic trucks without a driver will NEVER happen. The public trust and the day to day rapid changes on the road may make it impossible.

What I do envision is a team only future because they'll want someone at the wheel 24/7 monitoring that truck on the road. They'll also want that truck as productive as possible. They will definitely have driver facing cameras to insure the driver doesn't fall asleep while monitoring that trucks panel and the road conditions. It will definitely be a future that would see myself and many others leaving the industry.

cjb logistics Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't care. It's not my problem. Not anymore.

There are several threads where myself and a number of other drivers absolutely played devil's advocate and ripped into the engineering flaws and oversights in innumerable situations where a robot truck will become helpless in a raging storm and no one is able to get to it anytime soon to do anything with it.

I decided that if a robot truck is going out I'll be better off dead or living in Austria or some such place with NO robot anything. You can seriously screw with a robot truck in so many ways.

Thus my attitude and wilful decision not to worry or care. I'll be dead by then so I don't give a ####. Im sorry, but this question has been gone over and will be gone over again by people stupid enough to buy and use robot trucks.

kanidana Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i wonder if someday, there will be a "marriage" of sorts, with this company driving trucks

Boston Dynamics | Boston Dynamics

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The no one would be driving.

there is no driver shortage, only a shortage on drivers who want to work for nothing.

Robots rule ...

tommymonza and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Couldnt tell ya. Im a owner op, hadnt had a holiday since.:dontknow:

x1Heavy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    anyone ever consider the military use of such things..???

imagine the lives saved..???

imagine the fearless "charge" they can do..??

imagine the surrendering the enemy will do..??

remember the Iraq's surrendering to drones back in that war...???

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The military is less of a concern. Anything is fair in love and war. If you can designate a truck to say carry a set of tank treads and a trailer of fuel to meet a few needy tanks without humans, by all means send them.

We need to upgrade our armor all over again, the current MBT Abrams are able to resist long rod penetrators up to a certain length. The new Armata platform has fielded a very long rod penetrator that will be several FEET longer and able to come in at near hypersonic speed against our tanks from 7+ km, about twice the distance where our sensors can detect anything unless it's a bright sunshine in Kansas or Ukraine etc where there is nothing for 30 miles.

But current military issues aside, if you can get a robot into the fight carrying beans, bullets and spare parts etc then by all means have at it.

However it might be better not to have any more manned tanks and remotely control them or have them run wild in combat against the enemy via a network. One platform like a JStars sees a batch of enemy, and the rest of the Military engages them with anything in the US Inventory in range.

However you still need humans to run repair depots, supply dumps etc.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
  11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    EXACTLY..When one of their computers gets Sabotaged or goes "Haywire" from a digital radio killer...Theyll need a $8 hour "meat in the seat" to Avoid Lawsuits on their trillion dollar business.I trust my own driving better than a computer,so NO I Wont be the $ 8 hour "grunt" to Cover their arses .Just saying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.