How many years untill humans are replaced by driverless trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Driverless trucks, why do you need a truck for then? They should just build delivery tubes to deliver the freight that is the same places, free up the roads a bit, just like them machines at the bank, set product in, woosh its on its way.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    The public doesn't matter..They don't have the money nor the power...They aren't holding the cards...The big mega trucker carrier's however.....

4. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Very easy to steal. Get a couple friends all in their cars and block the whole road trying to simulate traffic. Truck has no choice but to stop. Break the seal take the product and gone. Truck goes to the reciever with the doors wide open.

shogun Thanks this.
  5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    They’ll probably have a driver in there just to have someone to blame when it does wreck. The company will expect the driver to be alert 24/7 and when he decides to take a nap and it wrecks they’re going to ask why he didn’t park it if he was tired. Same #### as before only we’re going to be paid less because all we’re doing it being a watchman.

6. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    So the million dollar question is;
    Do I keep learning to get my CLP and go to a CDL school, or go back to learning about software development(which I found boring and then started to look into truck driving as an alternative)?

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Do both. Get your CDL and experience with the trucking industry, then learn to design better software for the trucking industry. Look for a need and fill it.

My dad started out in the insurance industry when I was a kid. He taught himself to program in his early 40's, and created a number of proprietary software systems for the insurance industry that made him a very wealthy man.

VinnyVincent Thanks this.
  8. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I often wonder if I'll have time to study once I become a trucker? Right now I have/had plenty of time to study programming, working 40-60 hour weeks(mainly 40 or so), but I worry that I won't have much free time to study, once I adopt a trucking lifestyle. Maybe while I am waiting to be loaded or something, I could realistically pull out a laptop and practice some coding?

9. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I mean I guess the reality is that software jobs aren't safe either. Between outsourcing and increasing automation, they may also be obsolete(or at least a surplus of jobs and thus lower paid) in about the same timeline.
    I guess I should just keep on "trucking" as they say and do what I enjoy right now, without acting on fear based on speculation. I'm definitely going to try to keep studying other fields as a safety net, though.

10. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Okay here's a question about the "autonomous convoys" and the "driver sleeps in the back while truck drives" concepts:
    Where/when would the human driver take a s***? What about stopping to eat?
    What would the convoy of trucks do while he/she is stopped using the bathroom? Would they make the cab like an RV with a toilet and a bigger fridge?

11. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I wouldn’t worry about it. The moment these driverless trucks get in an accident politicians trying to kiss ### and get re-elected would push for some BS law that’ll make using them inefficient.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.