How milage pay works,for new drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Jan 17, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think we're saying many companies make you think they are giving some sort of guarantee. Look for the actual word itself, or "minimum pay/miles of X per week." Anything that doesn't say "guarantee" or "minimum" but hints at those idead is a gimmick so you delay recognizing the company is dishonest. MOST newbies are more than happy to ignore bad reviews or optimistically read ads when they should not do that. Read EVERYTHING from a company as if you know their is a gimmick, now you have to figure out how the sentence is technically correct but doesn't also promise the impossible.

Any real guarantee by a company and they will happily put it in writing email/paper. You cannot be too cynical when reading trucking company job ads.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I advocate a flat salary of a nice four figures. Nothing too outrageous. It would be a known unknown fixed cost every week fleet wide.

4. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    So,what are you saying then is what? Make a phone call, looking for a cdl class a job,and when they ask in the job post for " At least one year experience", tell them what? " Oh yes, I have a 10 years experience, ", even if my cdl release date says December 2017, and I don't even know how to properly couple tractor and trailer, and to chain tires for the mountain driving? I cannot lie to them. I'm sure they have enough experience to realize the level of experience,even during an interview. That's my question to you. How would I approache the subject? Since you have experience,you should know how to handle this situation. Thanks,again.

5. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I know, they school ripped me off of almost, $ 3,000.00 bucks. But is too late now. I got my cdl call a. I invested that amount, to get it. Now my trouble are, to find which companies will rip me off,taking life away from me, for the least amount of money to pay me,and possibly making me run illegal loads. I know, it was the same in the chauffeur business when I started. Well, I guess is part of learning then. I have to swallow it.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    YOU are the ultimate NO in the forced to run illegal loads. This isnt Coors in Smokey and the Bandit fantasy storytale movie. YOU are literally the agent of your company in the field and as long YOU stay current on the 600 commandments and innumerable laws you should already know not to do anything illegal.

7. Brickwall

Brickwall Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    My advice is to just keep looking. I would have void the huge names like Swift, Schneider, CR England Etc. Check out the driver apps, this site has a few companies advertising, and also check Craigslist. Don't hesitate to stop by truck stops in your area and ask drivers either. There are a lot of fly-by-night operations out of Chicago that shouldn't be in business. So ask around for legit references

8. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you can find a job paying hourly with overtime and double time, and you’re also utilizing your full 70 each week, you’ll be good. I get paid a guarantee, plus every hub mile, plus bonuses.

For a mega carrier I got paid for roughly 85-90% of the miles I drove loaded or empty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.