How much a week do you spend on food?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I spent a little more. I had some jumbo shrimp. Already cooked. Tossed in Cajun seasoning. The back is around $5 at Walmart. Tomorrow I'll be air frying, or grilling, not sure which yet, some mojo chicken wings. Another good snack/meal. Summer sausage and cheese. Or salami and cheese. Really any of your 'hard meats.'

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Used to spend between 300 to 400 a month including water and milk. But I never ate out, never consumed fast food. Always cooked in the truck... Rice, beans and veggies. Using electric pots and gas burner.

dwells40 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I will never do OTR without a fridge, microwave and instant pot.
    If I eat fast food I only get the main item and no soda or fries
    Absolutely no snacking while driving and the only calories I will drink are the cream in my coffee
    If I did not stick to this I would be one very fat human

Dflip, Rocks, dwells40 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not to mention the high sodium, sugar and general lack of nutrition and high carbs lack of fresh fruit and veggies.
    I eat in the truck but fortunate to get home weekly to stock up and carry a bbq grill on the truck. Had me a lamb chop, grilled asparagus and mushrooms and a sweet potato. That’s what’s called eating good on the truck.
    Like some of the others mentioned after a little over 30 years on the road I am not looking to have a heart attack by eating absolute garbage just to save s $$$

6. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I buy lots of rice, canned chicken, tuna, case of water, heat stuff in microwave. 30-40 a week and other microwave things to eat. I'll eat at some truck stop for fast food or restaurant maybe once a week.

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed but many of the truckstops don’t have the food selection they had a couple months ago because of lack of workers. Many of the pilots and other truckstops have no food ready to eat at all. And some of the fast food places aren’t even opening because there’s nobody to work. So for that reason alone you should be packing your own food because you might stop somewhere for the night thinking you’re going to get something to eat and find out there’s nothing.

I usually pack food to last me through most of the first week. Then I start to run out of things and end up eating crap at the truck stops. What I really need is a portable freezer. Then I can bring food for two or three weeks at a time. Had one and it crapped out on me. Miss it as if packed ready to warm and eat home cooked meals

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I keep records of my spending. I also generally buy the same things when I buy! I have noticed as a % I am spending just under 9% MORE now than I did 4 months ago. I will be buying some staples later on in this upcoming week. I can no longer afford beef. I am also starting to notice a lot of empty shelves in all the stores. I was in the Ft Eustis Commissary last week, I would be willing to bet the entire store was only about 75% stocked.

9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I try to stay out of the restaurants whenever possible
    I just bought a small 2 cubic ft freezer as I usually smoke some brisket and pulled pork when home but never have enough room in the fridge
    Quick and easy plus much better than Denny’s or TA/Petro

10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    A dumpster is better than TA Petro these days. Occasionally go to Dennys. IMO....not bad for a chain. I find them pretty consistent from location to location....kinda like Waffle House....you know what you're going to get.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.