How much a week do you spend on food?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Mar 29, 2016.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I think your way off base, I wish nothing bad to happen to anyone.
    Every one has different wants, dreams and lifestyle. Neither is right or wrong. I also don't feel any need to brag about the the things I own course I made a few payments in years past

gokiddogo and nofreetime Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks. It will have been two years next month.

gokiddogo and nofreetime Thank this.
  4. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    45 seems an early death. Don't know why mention it at all then. I agree people live their lives as they choose I don't judge. I've got enough problems just worrying about myself to be worried about what someone else does.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Is that's what wrong? Beancounting is your lifestyle? LOL! No Aprils foolin?

When you retire, your federal reserve notes will no longer be noteworthy.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I was at the Petro in Atlanta sitting in the restaurant for breakfast. This girl walks in and all the waitresses ran up to her and hugged her. Young girl.i asked my waitress what the deal was and the waitress told me that her husband died. How? Heart attack. Age 32.

There's no shame in dying when you lived your life as a man. Your father did enjoy life. He took care of his family, passed on his values, and made a good name for himself. Men such as he are in short supply nowadays. In fact, I'd dare say that the average American woman has never even known a real man. Quite shameful.

gokiddogo and Bdog Thank this.
  7. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    #### right i'm going to be a bean counter my first year otr. If i spent $25 a day on fast food on the road that's over 9k a year on food that is #### anyway. It may taste good for the few minutes you are eating it but how do you feel afterwards? Anyway most drivers quit the first year because they have no money and live on advances. You don't have to eat like a homeless person but i'm certainly not going to blow money on #### food on the road. Eating fast food is living life? lol

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Trucks fit more places than truck stops. Fast food isn't a good sit down meal. Or at least that's my opinion.

Also I'm not a cook I know it. Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to fix it yourself etc. However if you enjoy cooking than you should. Nothing says you can't enjoy yourself and still be a trucker.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

When I was OTR I spent about 1/3 the cost of eating at truck stops to buy groceries for a week. I'll boost my old numbers from year ago to about $60 per week for groceries versus $150 plus for eating fast-food/truck stop food each week.

My 40 quart electric cooler costs $100 and I paid $30 for a "DC Oven" electric food heater. It looks like a small toaster oven, but it is only an electric warmer. The much more common "lunchbox" type cookers are not big enough to heat "TV dinner" type frozen meals. The lunchbox type cookers are good for heating up canned soup/stews.

I would buy my groceries on the weekend before heading out. I bought the AC adapter to run my electric cooler at home and let it run for 8-24 hours before going to the truck. Then put in already cold or frozen items. The TV dinners were frozen and did ok lasting all week in the non-frozen cooler. Carry an extra power cord, mine once melted. Carry spare fuses for the power cord and learn which fuse in the truck supplies the outlet for your cooler.

Using my "DC Oven" it would take 45-90 minutes to heat up a TV dinner, so plan ahead. I mounted my DC Oven on a wooden cutting board because the bottom get hot enough to possible damage something in the truck if you set it in rubber floor or plastic dash. I mounted a timer on the dash so I could keep track of the cooking time.

I would typically eat cold cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, sandwich & soup for lunch, and TV dinner for dinner. I could just barely fit drinks & tv dinners, cold cuts in 40 qt cooler. I might be out of food by Friday. Or I might treat myself to fast-food on Friday. The more you bring with you the less you depend on shipper's vending machines or have to risk eating at some dirty diner.

You can be as healthy and comfortable as you like in the truck, you just need to plan ahead. Many drivers don't prepare and then blame the world for not putting restaurants with truck parking everywhere they go. Don't be that guy.

Lepton1, 1278PA and Grijon Thank this.
  10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    What do you mean they're paid for. Of course they are if can't pay cash for it you don't need it and since you have them they must be paid for. Wait you had to take a loan out for that stuff, man that sucks. You realize that on a 30yr loan a $240,000 house cost you $400, 000 right. Some people criticize others for doing lease purchase but that's no better. I realize its hard to pay cash for something like a house, but so what. The level of difficulty of a goal controls my future, I think not. Yes I'm a beancounter, no its not an April fools joke. I refuse to be a slave to the finance industry.
    At around $14.00 plus tip there is no way I'm eating in the truckstop. There's no chance I'm gonna work my butt of all day to park and immediately go and give the money I earned away foolishly. Its not the beans I really count its the time it takes to make it. That money after all represents my time and life is too short to waste time without thought.

Charlie Mac Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Absolutely, everything's paid for. I've already been where you're striving to be. I'm not eating at a truckstop either. Friday night, I'm thinking of Texas Roadhouse...haven't thrown peanuts in a few. If the barkeep is cute, I will give her $14 for a pretty girl tip.

@wore out , next beer and steak dinner is in your honor. Salute!

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.