How much better was it back in the day

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ronjeremyjr, Apr 30, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    In those days we were still saying “exhaust fluid” as a joke.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    My Dad drove during that time, as did my Grandpa. Sounded like a lot more fun.

Hauling a load and a half, dodging scales, covering 100+ miles in an hour or less, shooting at signs in the desert, blowing someone’s doors off while you had your lights off on a full moon night and scaring the crap outta them, if someone was thirsty and had a rider, get up alongside and hand a coke over, things like that. Sure there were drugs if a guy wanted them, but I’ve never heard of it being forced. It was mostly to make more money or had to do with your lifestyle. 2 or 3 log books were the norm but cops also didn’t care that much long as you were awake enough to hand them the correct one. A lot less traffic and better but smaller roads.

I don’t know that those things were the norm since my Dad Is very much an outlaw type of person. But those are all things that happened on a regular basis. My Mom would pay 2 speeding tickets per trip to the west coast and back but it was just thought as a cost of doing business. None of the states spoke to each other.

The trucks were way cooler, but not in the sense of air conditioning! You also cold freeze your ### off. For many, no power steering and of course the spring ride caused many people to have kidney problems after a career of driving. They also used torsion bar suspension.

My Dad got 3 to 3.5 mpg and didn’t give a ####. Fuel was cheap. Haul heavy and haul fast. That extra half load meant you only needed to make 2 turns to the coast per month if you wanted. Not the standard 3, or 4 if you were jacked up.

I remember as a little kid my parents talking about drivers who would get in too deep with the dope and get paranoid and think the cb was talking to them. They would tell the driver to throw it out the window and get their #### together. Sometimes firing them when they got back, sometimes having them park the truck and send a team to recover.

I also remember my parents cutting 4 checks for the driver to take with them to pay expenses, normally a couple thousand dollars. Some of the guys, by the time they got back they had paid expenses but also advanced themselves equal to their paycheck. Their paycheck would end up being literally 55 cents. They lived to drive, and drove to live.

Just a different time.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I miss the pinball machines.

5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Kelly’s million dollar Terminal at Shreveport had some good pinball machines and cute waitresses.

jamespmack and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Man that's some funny stuff, the CB is talking to me and the shadow people are following me LOL

Blue jeans, alds and 650cat425 Thank this.
  7. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Load it like a freight train drive it like an airplane!

8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I have to admit not having A/C can be pretty intolerable in the summer heat. And of course the LAST thing you'd want to do is try to run at night and sleep in it during the day. No idea how they put up with that all day.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Different places sold blocks of ice. Set the block of ice on the doghouse, have a water jug to fill up Dixie cups to pour down your back, and turn the defrost fans on and point your way. That’s what my Grandpa said. He started trucking in 1946.

Also remember when vehicles had wing vents where you could ram the air in? That’s not needed nowadays. Less people smoke too, to exhaust the smoke.

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Don't get me wrong I'd rather put up with heat and bugs than 10*F with subzero wind chills and ice covering everything.

650cat425 and alds Thank this.
  11. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I always tell people I ran ILLEGAL a lot back in the day but I ran SAFE. I slept when I wanted or needed to, avoided known rush hours/jams, and adjusted driving hours to accommodate weather issues. The log book was there to make it look legal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.