How much can I expect to make as a new Long haul driver?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Toronto-trucker95, Jul 27, 2021.

1. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    A union. Really!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Reason for edit: Change
    skipgears and Condi Thank this.
  2. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    Speaking of thieves a union would be the biggest thief out there.lol

Condi Thanks this.
  3. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    How are they thieves? I pay less than $1000/year for my dues and it's well worth the price. Not just in the money I make but with the rules around scheduling and hours of work. Plus the dues are tax deductible.

skipgears Thanks this.
  4. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Do us all a favour and pull your head out of your ***.

You’re carrying on here like you’ve got some kind of intelligence but your posts show otherwise.

5. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    My intelligence is being questioned by a masked phantom, so let me assert some facts and opinions on Unions in particular:

All unions are protectionist by design, they compose of the weakest members of any group/society who then combine in solidarity to become a united fighting force. We are witness to unions in everyday common life, such as; the USA being union of States, Canada being a union of Provinces, The EU a union of countries. All professional fields hold a union to represent them; the physicians, the engineers, all scientists. If fact, side note, the Physicians pay into a specialized organization just to keep medical malpractice suits on the low, averaging about 1.6% (as per CBC) in positive outcomes for the harmed patient. These are all examples of unions that exist to protect not just the individual but also the whole industry. Unions are a net benefit, and without them you will be played like a monkey at a carnival. In example of the transport industry, you are all already monkeys, jumping in the seat for a .4 cent incentive, etc.

The problem in particular are corrupt Unions, who falsely masquerade as representors of labor, but are essentially just shills for the corporation. Plenty of those. And that's what we need to be fighting today -- corrupt Unions.

REALITY098765 and Iron Maiden Thank this.
  6. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    One company I worked for created a contract to avoid a union being voted in. They put in writing exactly what we get paid for and that settled the matter. There had been issues with some drivers getting paid for waiting/ loading/layover while others were not.
    Many companies try to get work out of drivers say mileage rate includes “duties as required” I dont do anything FREE,,,that’s when volunteers are required.

7. Mikeli

Mikeli Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2020
    I know $900 isn't much, but I mean as a newbie for a new industry in his first year. I'm ok with it considering im not only get paid but also learning from this industry. for the payment like this week, I worked 4 days this week, just a little over 1800 miles, today I went to Detroit from Cambridge and back. I guess u all heard border delay, I got jamed for 6 hours, plus the miles, pick n drop, today alone is $300, and for the week is $1100 plus before taxes, only 4 days, and if i want, there is more work for tmr, but I decided to take a 3 days off. Anyway, I'm happy as what challenger pays me also i do learn from them, that a big plus for me, might not for everyone tho.

8. Mikeli

Mikeli Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2020
    thanks bro! ive heard lots of stores too, good ones and bad ones. but for me, im so ready for it. coz u never know until u really doing it. i have the cash ready to buy a decent truck or buy a new one with a little finance help, plus i dont have house payments i dont have car payments. what is the worst could be, im prepared. and be honestly, challenger is just something in between, once i can get my own insurance around 20k a year, im going my own authority man. thats where the risks are, also where the money is. i will keep my moves posted here

9. Bodhi

Bodhi Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Well, the cost that these school charge, you think they would be teaching you how to drive.

03machwon Thanks this.
  10. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Dude $900 at challenger isn't bad, when I worked there I made approximately $2000 biweekly. Highest pay I touched was around $2550 for 2 weeks. It's a good place to get your foot in the door within the industry. Training program is solid. Take what you can get until you get something better.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.