How much can I expect to make as a new Long haul driver?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Toronto-trucker95, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Mikeli

Mikeli Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Yes, I'm not complaining, but would recommend others as a new driver to join challenger, they really have a nice training and paying combining for a new driver. Plus insurance companies love to see drivers have challenger experiences, thats really good for someone wanna be an o/o in the future

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Andersontrucking

Andersontrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Ok do you have your AZ or your DZ ticket yet.? Why would you go to school if you already have your license?
    However I would not touch a door handle for $0.40 mile. Average driver rate is $0.53 mile across Canada. you will make a better rate on percentage rate per load. But YOU have to do the calculations on whether the rate per mile or rate on percentage pays you more, you must take into account of load / unload times as well down time for mechanical failures on the road. Will you get paid layovers ! and will you get paid for fueling time and pre trip time. I know drivers reading this will think I'm crazy But there is much to factor into your trip if OTR or local. Hit me up for more details if you wish. Currently I am done doing OTR and have begun this last year hauling aggregates. Give Mills Trucking in Whitby a Call Tony is looking for drivers both AZ and DZ. and you can make some great money. Best of luck.

4. davistev

davistev Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Not to discourage you or anything, but driving for Uber pays higher if you do 70 hours pw. Be careful signing on to a 40 cpm starter job. If there was ever a time to have the luxury of picking companies to gain your experience - it is now.

5. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Its 2021 & inflation is only rising so if you're not able to crack the $1000 rate of weekly pay whiles not breaking your back you have ask yourself is it worth it? Otr is good however, the downtime is something that the majority of drivers 'Never ever talking about'. Whiles maybe their time in their personal lives mean nothing its still time I would consider that's important and can never be returned once gone. So unless you're a O/O earning a minimum of of $1.65/mile ($1.90/mile seems more feasible imo) then how is it worth it? Unionized jobs get a bad rep however its a necessary evil regarding monetary benefits with a reasonable work load. It couldn't be a better time to apply for unionized work now a days that avg. a minimum of $1000 for most beginners once they're able to get in. Ups, Labatts, Cascades etc. the list goes on..) example: AZ Driver - Mississauga, ON - Indeed.com Yes, there's plenty of politics at Unionized jobs especially with Management that always seems to harass drivers alot of times. However, if you out of sight its equals out of mind and with some years in you can average (with overtime) $1860 to $1940/weekly cheques under 55 hrs weekly with all the incentives & premiums. The last 3 years my avg. annual pay has been $90k plus. Managers are becoming desperate these days looking for new applicant's because of massive growth of business so future opportunities are there. As for Otr the only jobs that I would ever look at whiles living out of a truck at dirty Canadian truck stops (you will see the difference from Province to Province but Ontario has the worst non kept ones oppose to the Usa states that are so much cleaner in comparison). Unless their paying $0.65/mile with incentives such $0.05/cent more for truck maintenance/cleanliness or NYC bridge crossings & $120/layover minimum I wouldn't look at otr.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
    Reason for edit: Missing info
  6. Rickzappa

Rickzappa Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2010
    calgary
    focus on getting the experience and skills you need to do the work.
    if you must, sell your house and get rid of any debt so you can weather the storm until you get a few years of income in your record books to know what you are capable of dealing with on a year to year basis.
    don't take anyones word on how much anyone makes. those numbers can vary from day to day, month to month and year to year for everyone.
    every truck is unique and the trucking industry covers a wide array of industries that are seasonal, cyclical, and or other in nature of how much work there may be on any given subset of time horizons.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.