How much did your last in-frame cost?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Krooser, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Can a backyard mechanic inframe theses new epa turds like a dd15 or mp or isx. My dads done a bunch of old E6s and big cams over the years top to bottom and currently rebuilding 93 E-7.

I'm guessing custom tool are required on the new stuff. And fab'n up stuff like custom liner pullers isn't very wise.

Doing all our own work turbo oil pump and all the little odds and ends included about 6-7k that mack will be ready for another million

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Head gasket, cracked head, liner cavitation? (Do they have wet liners?)

4. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    old thread, but I'm in...

in 2012 I had the platinum in-frame done on my 6NZ at a Caterpillar dealer. $28,000 Canadian with a 4 year warranty, and they have been back into it twice. first time it dropped a liner after 3 years, they also replaced camshaft, rockers, and followers when they tested out of spec. the last time was just a week ago after finally diagnosing a miss that started back in 2016 just before it went off warranty. got new reman injectors and head but had to pay labour cost. not a bad deal for the engine being 2 years out of warranty, good thing we had all documentation regarding the missing issue.

SAR Thanks this.
  5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Spent about $12,000 doing my ‘99 N14 Celect Plus last June. Liners, pistons, rings, bearings, heads, injectors, turbo, harmonic balancer, thermostats, couple of pulley bearings, belts, and other stuff I’m not thinking of.

Oh and new head bolts. That was a grand right there.

HopeOverMope, SheepDog and SAR Thank this.
  6. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    You do all the work on it? You can prob take one of heads off by yourself w/o a helper right? I was shocked how heavy 1 head is off the E7. Any of these ohc cam motors if you don't have a lift god help you.

7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I’m not a very big fella, so I had one of the shop guys (that has about fifty pound on me) lift them off. BUT, if I made some kind of handle, I’m sure I could do it. I have no problem carrying them around. Just not enough strength to pick them up by the valve springs and then climb down like he did.

New heads were $500 each. Turbo $650. You can buy inframe kits for less than $2500. Simple, reliable engine that gets down the road pretty dang good.

SAR Thanks this.
  8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I don’t know why not. The actual engine itself I would guess is not all that different than a pre emissions one. I think some internal parts are designed slightly different, but overall it’s the same concept.

SAR Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Really it shows the shoddy workmanship of the shop you used. I'm surprised they didn't try to blame the camshaft and valve train on you. They charge $150 an hour or more and use substandard parts putting out bad work. Awesome! I spent about the same for a platinum at CAT rebuild around the same time frame and almost 400,000 miles later my motor has burned up to 2 gallons of oil per 12,500 mile OCI ever since the rebuild. Which of course is "within spec" but from the factory it never burned a drop all the way up to 1,100,000 miles. How screwed up is it to pay big money like that and have these kind of issues?

SAR and Troy_ Thank this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I hear you man. if I were a dedicated freight hauler it would have been catastrophic down time. we're oilfield/construction haulers and always have a spare truck at the ready, but it sure isn't what a guy expects paying that kind of dough. I'm just glad Cat has stood behind their work, I'd be well over 50K into this engine if it weren't for their warranty.

it was $200/hr for their tech to come to my shop and do the last repair. I'm in the wrong business.

FoolsErrand and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. Retired Bear

Retired Bear Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2018

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.