How much do temp agencies pay? What is your experience with them?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oldtrucker66, Jun 22, 2021.

1. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I appreciate any info on temp agencies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I worked for Pro Drivers back in 2005-2008, paid mileage plus hourly. I made more there than OTR and was home every night unless I took a long haul. I wouldn't give you the pay due to how long it was, but after a year or so you should be making a good amount, you are in huge demand and the customer typically really needs your help. I would go to some customers and refuse to drive their old equipment upon inspection. I call in and tell boss then customer would usually be in such need they'd send me to rental place to get a truck, just an example fo how bad they need you.

Most would say they want to hire you, so beware of the 'temp for hire' gig bait. I wouldn't hire on with half of them if they asked, plus I was known for being too strict on equipment, my boss would warn customers I might leave after an inspection. Reason for this is because you drive their equipment any issues after might be blamed on the temp more than anyone else. You might be driving for a new company every time you work, some for weeks, some months, I worked 3-5 days, had my choice of everything.

Sometimes you would deliver trucks in another city and get a rental car or plane trip back. I drove only in Texas.

4. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    The following is based on MY EXPERIENCES in North Carolina.
    I also drove in South Carolina and Virginia.

Temp to Perm (?) Truck Drivers Services pay according to what is agreed with Customers.
    Some Services have Flat Rates as well Variable.

I drove for 1 Client of Transforce in '18, BRIEFLY, for 14.00 hourly.
    Spring Ride Daycabs and Trailers, hence BRIEFLY, PLUS it was a FREE 80 mile turn for me and that company ran mostly everyone (that showed up)14 hours daily, mon-fri.
    first week at 3 days, second at 2.

Another, (IDS) Innovative Driver Services, All Their Clients started at 18.00 an hour.
    A few of their Clients paid $20.00+ an hour.

Results & Locations vary.

Pay can be low as $10.00 hour for Straight Truck stuff especially through Non Truck Driver Services.

1 local to I Client paid their Drivers 23-25 an hour and they were Union.
    Temp Drivers, 19.00 for Switchers, 20.00 for Road.
    I did more Switcher becuz it was easier.

Also: ProDrivers and a few others both Local and National.
    Do a Search for Truck Driver Employment Services.

CHEERS!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Reason for edit: added information
    bzinger and oldtrucker66 Thank this.
  5. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Back in 1996 to 1998 I worked for a few temp agencies because back then being a new driver it was more difficult without 3 to 5 years experience to be hired. The only light at the end of the tunnel was possibly being hired on by the transport companies that drivers would work for after 6 mths to a year. Some companies however would give a driver that time off break for a month so it renewed their contract agreement with the trucking company so they could extend their lapse time on possibly hiring the driver (kinda of trick with driver agencies back then). Most of these agencies paid around 10% to 15% less than the hired on drivers and the agencies had their own benefit packages. Eventually, I applied to otr companies were I worked for a few years before going back locally with a unionized trucking where I've been working since. Considering today's times I would think that 'Agencies' are also struggling to find drivers because most new drivers seem to be getting hired directly to companies including some directly out of trucking schools? Regardless, Agencies aren't the worse when no one else wants to give you a chances so I'm grateful for them during my younger beginning years of trucking.

bzinger and oldtrucker66 Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Around here they pay decent. About $20 an hr. for Local work. It can be convenient for those that want to pick and choose when and where they work. I think pay is negotiable. Especially with them. No Driver, No money for them.

Milkrun, bzinger and oldtrucker66 Thank this.
  7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Most guys I knew working through driver services earned a bit more than industry standard. If it’s a dedicated run nice but others your job can change weekly. Not my thing but it’s a Paycheck.

oldtrucker66 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Temp agencies are mostly OK, I worked for one and got hired on permanently with a great co. However, the agency doesn't want you to do this. They want you to continue to be a temp. Also, you will show up at the temp employer and basically tossed the keys to a truck and paperwork for your deliveries with no training to co. procedures. So you need to ask questions about the co before you commit to going there, right ?

oldtrucker66 and Dennixx Thank this.
  9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Trillium pays 22.50 to start OT after 40 on a W2 at Ryder Green Bay , either a shuttle or yard dog.
    They have plenty of other work also.

oldtrucker66 Thanks this.
  10. oldtrucker66

Jan 1, 2015
    Thanks.
    Do you know other pay details like:
    Do they pay overtime after 8 hours per day?
    Do they automatically pay time and a half on Saturday?
    Do they automatically pay double time on Sundays and Federal Holidays?
    Do they have any benefits?

11. oldtrucker66

Jan 1, 2015
    Trillium has a job requiring tanker, hazmat and TWIC paying $22 per hour. Is $22 per hour reasonable to you guys?

It's in Ft Lauderdale hauling diesel to boats if anyone is interested.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.